Falklands fighter

Started by Devilfish, April 13, 2017, 12:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

By the late 60s, the Royal Navy were looking to replace their aging carriers. Unfortunately the nice shiny brand new ones they had hoped for were vetoed by the treasury. As compensation,  a pair of surplus ex US Navy Kittyhawk non nuclear carrives wereally bought and retro fitted with the electronic systems salvaged from the outgoing carriers.
To make up for the disappointment of "hand me down" ships, the government authorised the purchase of new aircraft.
One of the types selected was the new Grumman F-14 Tomcat, known in the FAA as the Tomcat FR.1.
With upgrades carried out by BAe,  the FR.2 was the standard fighter in service in 1982, when the Argentinian forces invaded the Falkland islands.
En-route to the islands, the aircraft of the task force were repainted from their peacetime Gary and white schemes to an all over extra dark sea grey. Squadron and other identifying markings were painted out.
On combat air patrol, the general load out was 4 sky flash and 2 sidewinders, with a TARPS reconnaissance pod to gather intel when over flying the islands.

Tomcat FR.2 of 801 Sqn , HMS Queen Elizabeth.

Academy 1/48 kit.

Steel Penguin

nice looking, and a suitable back story as well.
clever on the overpaint blocks as well. :thumbsup:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

DogfighterZen

I like dark, dull planes and this one suits me just fine...  Nice model and story :thumbsup:!
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

stuart

That would have made one hell of an impact over the islands - nice work. I like the interesting load out.
''I may not be good but I'm slow...''

Snowtrooper

Very nice!

Though with FAA flying Tomcats, the air war over the Falklands becomes a turkey shoot. :wacko:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Snowtrooper on April 14, 2017, 12:31:44 AM

Though with FAA flying Tomcats, the air war over the Falklands becomes a turkey shoot. :wacko:

They did pretty well flying SHARs.  ;D ;D ;) ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

stuart

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 14, 2017, 01:41:28 AM

I've often wondered about that - the SHARS's were pretty hot in combat and had a lot of advantages. I wonder if it would have been such a Turkey shoot if we'd have had more conventional fighters?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: stuart on April 14, 2017, 02:43:16 AM

I've often wondered about that - the SHARS's were pretty hot in combat and had a lot of advantages. I wonder if it would have been such a Turkey shoot if we'd have had more conventional fighters?

This thread could run and run..........  ;D

If the FAA had had more conventional fighters they'd have also needed conventional carriers, more than one really, and in that case the Islands may never have been invaded in the first place.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Cobra

The Tomcat seems to Look Natural in RN Livery, like it Was Meant to be! Superb Job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Keep up the Superb work :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Looks great! Love the paint job.  No Phoenix? 

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

andrewj

A very nice concept and execution , well done indeed.

stuart

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 14, 2017, 04:31:46 AM
Quote from: stuart on April 14, 2017, 02:43:16 AM

This thread could run and run..........  ;D

If the FAA had had more conventional fighters they'd have also needed conventional carriers, more than one really, and in that case the Islands may never have been invaded in the first place.

Good Point!

Old Wombat

The twin-tailed Cat looks good in RN colours & load-out! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Captain Canada

Gorgeous ! he looks so right in those colours and markings. Love the pod as well. Nice touch !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?