What if model was real

Started by Ify, April 05, 2017, 01:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ify

What governs a model a what if from not a what if? Is it primarily based on appearances?

What if I make a model of a steel bridge using timber. It would no longer be a steel bridge, but a wooden one. Would it be classed as a 'what if'?
Captain: The future is in your hands, Scotty.
Scotty: But Captain, I can't change the laws of physics.

PR19_Kit

I don't think so, I think your initial assumption about it being based on appearance is correct.

I built an HO model of a steel railroad bridge out of styrene (593 separate parts!  :banghead:) but it was a model of a bridge, not a WhatIf model.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Ify

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 05, 2017, 02:08:35 AM
...I built an HO model of a steel railroad bridge out of styrene... but it was a model of a bridge, not a WhatIf model.
Thanks Kit, but I am still looking for a definition.

So far, a model of a bridge made from other materials is a no-no.
What if it was a polystyrene bridge that has half melted into a white blob?

I am trying to find out what governs a "What If". I hate to make a model, present it here, to find out that it is not a 'What If".

Hobbes

A what-if is any model that represents something not found in reality.
That encompasses a very large gamut, from existing vehicles in unique paint/markings, to complete fantasy (flying saucers).

If you build a model of an existing steel bridge using timber (or plastic) and the finished model looks like it's made of wood, then it's a what-if in my book.

What Kit is trying to say (I think) is that the choice of material alone isn't a deciding factor. When we build a model of an existing airplane from plastic, the result isn't a what-if just because plastic was used in the construction where the original used aluminium. Build the same model and paint it to make it look like it's made of wood, and then it becomes a what-if.

Whatever you build, don't hesitate to show it here. We build for fun, not to fit some narrow definition.

Old Wombat

Quote from: Hobbes on April 05, 2017, 03:25:27 AM
That encompasses a very large gamut, from existing vehicles in unique paint/markings, to complete fantasy (flying saucers).

If you build a model of an existing steel bridge using timber (or plastic) and the finished model looks like it's made of wood, then it's a what-if in my book.

What Kit is trying to say (I think) is that the choice of material alone isn't a deciding factor. When we build a model of an existing airplane from plastic, the result isn't a what-if just because plastic was used in the construction where the original used aluminium. Build the same model and paint it to make it look like it's made of wood, and then it becomes a what-if.

Whatever you build, don't hesitate to show it here. We build for fun, not to fit some narrow definition.

^^^ I agree with this ^^^

If you build a model of Tower Bridge & it looks like Tower Bridge but it looks like it was made from timber & wattle-&-daub, rather than steel & stone; it's a whif.

If you build a Hawker Hurricane IIc in the colours of VMF-214; it's a whif.

If you build a M-48 tank painted Shocking Pink operating in Hue during the Tet Offensive in 1968; it's a whif.

If you build a Hawker Hurricane I in the colours & markings of 501 Sqn RAF, ca. 1940, flown by 740042 Sergeant James Harry "Ginger" Lacey, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve; it's definitely NOT a whif.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Yup, agree with both of those statements.

In my view a What If can be either a major jump into the realms of fantasy or just a minor shift of what counts as reality. If for instance you built the above mentioned Ginger Lacey's aircraft at the end of the Battle of Britain with 24 kills it would technically be a wif because he only claimed 23 during the Battle.

Splitting hairs perhaps but that just shows how wide ranging the definition of wiffery is that we use on this site  :thumbsup: It's what you are happy and comfortable with. b.t.w. I think I know someone who has built a wif that's purely down to the number of kill markings.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

You may say that but I couldn't possibly comment...

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kerick

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 05, 2017, 05:03:57 AM

^^^ I agree with this ^^^

If you build a model of Tower Bridge & it looks like Tower Bridge but it looks like it was made from timber & wattle-&-daub, rather than steel & stone; it's a whif.

If you build a Hawker Hurricane IIc in the colours of VMF-214; it's a whif.

If you build a M-48 tank painted Shocking Pink operating in Hue during the Tet Offensive in 1968; it's a whif.

If you build a Hawker Hurricane I in the colours & markings of 501 Sqn RAF, ca. 1940, flown by 740042 Sergeant James Harry "Ginger" Lacey, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve; it's definitely NOT a whif.

Couldn't say it any better.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 05, 2017, 05:03:57 AM

It is if you change the prop from a De Havilland to a Rotol...

If you know the subject inside out, even the tiniest of changes can make it a whiff.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

seadude

What constitutes a "what if" will vary from person to person. Everybody's mileage may vary. ;) 
For me though, I guess my interpretation might be the following:
1. Model kits and/or real subjects that nobody has ever seen, heard of, or created before.
2. Models of armor, naval, aircraft, etc. subjects that never made it beyond the drawing boards or prototype stage.
3. Model kits in What If scenarios such as "What if the Israel Air Force had A-10 Warthog aircraft in service?" or "What if the British actually had the M1 Abrams tank in service with their army?", etc., etc., etc.
4. Showing of "What If" model kit subjects that use different paint schemes, decals, and/or kitbashed/scratchbuilt parts than what is normally found in the kit box or described on the instructions.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 05, 2017, 08:25:18 AM

It is if you change the prop from a De Havilland to a Rotol...

If you know the subject inside out, even the tiniest of changes can make it a whiff.

Install a metric altimeter in an RAF Hurricane, that'd do it.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Yes, in a real one but 72nd?

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Ify

Okay :blink: What if, what-if, whif, whiff, wiffery and Whiff members, I got the idea now. It's not so Ify anymore.  ;)

Thanks to Hobbes, Old Wombat, NARSES2, The Wooksta!, kerick, seadude, and Kit for all your definitions.

kerick

Quote from: Ify on April 05, 2017, 01:26:13 PM
Okay :blink: What if, what-if, whif, whiff, wiffery and Whiff members, I got the idea now. It's not so Ify anymore.  ;)

Thanks to Hobbes, Old Wombat, NARSES2, The Wooksta!, kerick, seadude, and Kit for all your definitions.

I hope this incites you to a frenzy of kitbashing and scratch building or just changing of decals!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Ify

Quote from: kerick on April 05, 2017, 05:46:44 PM
I hope this incites you to a frenzy of kitbashing and scratch building or just changing of decals!

Yes, it has freed me up a bit.

However, I am new, rare to modeling. One and a half models so far. Actually a half model, because I lost the first one in a house fire.
So I don't have much to play around with for a dramatic 'What if'...not yet anyway.

I cross through the 'new' because I only realized today that my first model was done 26 years ago. It was a 1/10 scale, scratch build, working version of a Tesla Coil, built by Tesla, while in Colorado Springs.
My second model is currently in progress in my lounge room. It is going to be working wooden model (1/72 scale) of a steel framed lift-span bridge. Naturally it is a scratch build. The scale varies for most parts due to available material used. My main focus is the working part, and so the scale is secondary. I do endeavour to build as close to scale to make it look more realistic to the original bridge.