U.S marine corps high mobility tank killer

Started by chrisonord, February 21, 2017, 04:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

With the never ending need to do the job in hand quicker and more efficiently, The Marine corps wanted a wheeled vehicle that could travel fast on and off road that could be used to defend convoys and also to kill tanks. The base vehicle is the M1126 Stryker. A prototype vehicle was put together using existing equipment, and this consisted of a M 551 Sheridan tank, fitted with 120 mm smooth bore gun from the M-1 Abrams. This configuration worked, and worked admirably from the start. Using surplus M551 turrets, until a built for purpose unmanned turret can be designed, the vehicle designated LAV-211 in U.S marine guise found itself posted overseas, almost straight away, to fight with the Marine expedition force in Honduras.
stryker tank killer by Chris Hall, on Flickr
stryker tank killer 3 by Chris Hall, on Flickr
stryker tank killer 2 by Chris Hall, on Flickr

Cheers
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

chrisonord

Quote from: Gondor on February 22, 2017, 10:57:24 AM
Looks a lot like a Centauro B1 vehicle

Gondor
I have been looking for 1/72nd scale Centauro's and the only one I can find is a resin one that is way out of my price range, but they are a nice looking vehicle for sure. I am going to build a vehicle for the Honduras army that could either be a tank hunter or an infantry support vehicle.
Chris. 

Rick Lowe

Quote from: chrisonord on February 22, 2017, 11:54:50 AM
Quote from: Gondor on February 22, 2017, 10:57:24 AM
Looks a lot like a Centauro B1 vehicle

Gondor
I have been looking for 1/72nd scale Centauro's and the only one I can find is a resin one that is way out of my price range, but they are a nice looking vehicle for sure. I am going to build a vehicle for the Honduras army that could either be a tank hunter or an infantry support vehicle.
Chris.

There is a Partworks series, Military Vehicles, that has the Centauro B1 in the range.
Altaya,the firm was taken over recently and back issues, while available, arrive with the speed of a glacier... ask me how I know...

HTH

chrisonord

Rick Lowe

Here they are:

http://www.themotorpool.net/Amercom-Modern-Era-Military-Vehicles-s/3062.htm

I was doing some more trawling m'ownself and found'em.

A wee bit more expensive than in the Partworks series, but the range is larger here and supply presumably better.

Also the models available varied from country to country; as in the Katyusza, Grad and BTR-80 were in the normal fortnightly series in the UK, but Subscription only specials here in NZ.
And you don't get a surplus magazine with sometimes questionable facts and figures...

ANYhoo, I hope this is of use to you.

chrisonord

Cheers Rick,
I might just invest in one of these if I can find them over here, quick new paint job, and away it goes to join its fellow Honduras Armour.
:thumbsup:
Chris.

Captain Canada

Very cool. I was thinking it was a Russian turret at first ! Love the camo the idea makes sense too.

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

chrisonord

I can cheat with this and put the turret from the anti aircraft version of the Sheridan on it too. I initially was going to put an unmanned turret on it with an auto gun, but the sheridan turret worked out an easy option and it looked right.
Chris

Rick Lowe

Chris, I just found something even more interesting:

http://acemodel.com.ua/en/soon

A company in the Ukraine will soon have a 1/72 plastic kit Centauro.

Cool!

chrisonord

Quote from: Rick Lowe on February 28, 2017, 05:22:11 PM
Chris, I just found something even more interesting:

http://acemodel.com.ua/en/soon

A company in the Ukraine will soon have a 1/72 plastic kit Centauro.

Cool!
Hello again Rick,
I have been watching Ace like a Vulture, as they have some other tasty kits coming out too, one being the V-150 commando, which I WILL be buying several of.
Cheers
Chris.