Starfighter F.1

Started by Devilfish, February 17, 2017, 04:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

What if there had been troubles with the P.1 program? Engine fires caused by fuel leaks setting the development back enough to warrant buying a stopgap aircraft.
Needing something with the speed and acceleration close to that promised by the Lightning, the MOD turned to Lockheed, and bought 2 squadrons of F-104s
56 sqn introduced the aircraft into service. The only modification being the fitment of coolant systems for Firestreaks missiles.
Kit is the 1/48 Revell/Hasegawa F-104, fitted with Airfix Lightning Firestreaks.

zenrat

RAF roundels on a Starfighter just look wrong to me.

Well done.  Excellent job.   :thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

Wow. Looks ready for action ! Love the weathering. Nice job !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on February 17, 2017, 08:06:51 PM
RAF roundels on a Starfighter just look wrong to me.

Before I'd seen this I would have agreed.

Absolute stunner, just love the finish  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

I think it looks right. Needs a pitot tube tho  :thumbsup: That would really finish her off !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

Nice. Even though the Firestreaks look so utterly worng on the Starfighter...  ;D

PR19_Kit

I built the later, upgraded Starfighter F3, with Red Tops on the wing tips and the avionics pack on the spine, plus an IFR probe and RWR aerials on the fin top.  ;D ;)

It was the first Whiff model I ever built way back in 1972, and I still have the darn thing!

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

Although i think the F-104 is ugly, that is very nice work, by both Devilfish and Kit! :thumbsup:

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Devilfish

Quote from: Captain Canada on February 18, 2017, 07:38:54 AM
I think it looks right. Needs a pitot tube tho  :thumbsup: That would really finish her off !

Pitot tube was on for about 30 secs, then I broke it off.....

Devilfish

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 18, 2017, 09:19:39 AM
I built the later, upgraded Starfighter F3, with Red Tops on the wing tips and the avionics pack on the spine, plus an IFR probe and RWR aerials on the fin top.  ;D ;)

It was the first Whiff model I ever built way back in 1972, and I still have the darn thing!

I thought about putting the missiles on the wingtips, but, unlike modern missiles the Firestreak and Red Top really on coolant from an online aircraft supply, and there's no way you'd get the pipework through those wings, lol. Although,  I suppose they got fuel pipes through from the tip tanks.....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Devilfish on February 18, 2017, 02:08:11 PM

I thought about putting the missiles on the wingtips, but, unlike modern missiles the Firestreak and Red Top really on coolant from an online aircraft supply, and there's no way you'd get the pipework through those wings, lol. Although,  I suppose they got fuel pipes through from the tip tanks.....

They didn't need to put pipes through the wings of the F3s. Hawker-Siddley, who did the conversions from the F1s, used some VERY long drills and drilled along the wings from the tips inwards to get the coolant out to the Red Tops..................... ;)

[And if you believe that, you'll believe ANYthing........... ;D ;D]
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Glenn Gilbertson

Great looking metal finish on the F.1 - well done, Devilfish! :thumbsup:
The F.3 looks good as well, Kit. :thumbsup:

TheChronicOne

Fantastic work!! It looks great! Rather unexpected but I think it works like a charm. 

-Sprues McDuck-

andrewj

Very nice indeed, not a fan of the Starfighter , but with Firestreaks and 56Sqd markings what's not to love.

Andrew