Keeping the workbench tidy

Started by Nick, February 15, 2017, 05:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

I've had enough of the clutter on my desk. It's at the point where I can't find any parts for the kits I'm supposed to be working on, the dust bunnies are breeding and the usable work area is smaller than my hand!
:banghead:  ;D

Many years ago I bought a pair of 4l Really Useful Boxes http://www.reallyusefulstorageboxes.co.uk/4-litre-really-useful-clear-box-with-2-hobby-trays-c2x14265345
One I used for keeping my spare parts in and the divider trays are great for separating the kits plus being clear plastic you can see the contents with ease. Looking in the loft last month I found the other one and HAD AN IDEA  :o

Went to Staples, bought an empty 4l box, put one tray in each box and now I'm using them for all the paints and glues. The box is deep enough for Hannants Xtracrylix pots, the squares each hold 4 Humbrol-type tinlets or 3 Tamiya glass jars.
Result is I now can see all my paints, I know what I have, the dust is kept off them and I can keep the desk clearer.  :thumbsup:

What I might do next is get one with different insert trays that suit scalpels, long tools and brushes. A deep box for all the spraycans is also an option.
http://www.reallyusefulstorageboxes.co.uk/4-litre-really-useful-clear-box-with-divider-trays-c2x14265299

NARSES2

Sounds good Nick.

This is what I use http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Organiser-Cabinet/40-6980

I have 2. One on the bench it'self for all my tools, glues,putties, bits and bobs of wire etc, and the other on a shelf with all my spare parts. All in neatly labeled drawers of course. So if I'm looking for wheels they are all in the same drawer type of thing.

I've other small 3 drawer storage "cabinets" I got in £ Store for my paints.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

A tidy desk is the sign of a sick mind.

Having said that i've just rearranged all my paints so I can see all the Vallejo acrylics instead of having to rummage in various repurposed cassette drawers, file card drawers and fold out under shelf storage thingos.
I got storage racks from Miniature Scenery.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Nick on February 15, 2017, 05:20:14 AM

I've had enough of the clutter on my desk. It's at the point where I can't find any parts for the kits I'm supposed to be working on, the dust bunnies are breeding and the usable work area is smaller than my hand!
:banghead:  ;D

Me too, except my 'working space' is about the size of my thumbnail!!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on February 16, 2017, 01:54:47 AM
A tidy desk is the sign of a sick mind.

I wouldn't disagree. Whilst working I could find anything on my desk straight away if I left it "au natural", if I tided it, no chance  :o

I have to admit my paints are filed by nationality - RAF, French etc - and then by manufacturer within nationality - Xtracrylic, White Ensign etc. I apologise if the thought of that makes people feel ill.  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I keep my paints, still mostly Humbrol enamels these days, in old BR ticket boxes. They're about a foot long, 8" wide and 2" high, and I can get two whole layers of tinlets in each box, but they sure end up heavy!

I have a 'Greys' box, a 'Blues' box, a 'Greens' box and a 'White-Black-Yellow-Brown' box, and then a few smaller ones with bright and metallic colours.

At the last count the 'Greys' box was overflowing and I'll need to get an annexe for it! Mind you, the 'Greens' and 'Blues' aren't far behind.

Then there's the old bureau drawer that's FULL to the brim, and it's 3 ft x 2 ft x 9" high, containing zillions of Humbrol tins with every one of the lids painted red:o

It's a long story...............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

The real driver for me is the amount of dust piling up and simply not knowing what paints I have. Being able to see them and not waste money on buying stuff I don't need might help.

I found I have 3 rolls of 10mm Tamiya tape and 2 of 6mm.  :banghead:
I dare not think how many of my old Humbrol paints have dried up in the tins.  :-X

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 16, 2017, 07:53:06 AM
...Then there's the old bureau drawer that's FULL to the brim, and it's 3 ft x 2 ft x 9" high, containing zillions of Humbrol tins with every one of the lids painted red:o

It's a long story...............

The same red or lots of different ones?

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 16, 2017, 07:34:06 AM
,,,I have to admit my paints are filed by nationality - RAF, French etc...

I must admit I do have all the Luftwaffe colours separated and organised by RLM number.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on February 16, 2017, 08:25:24 AM

I found I have 3 rolls of 10mm Tamiya tape and 2 of 6mm.  :banghead:
I dare not think how many of my old Humbrol paints have dried up in the tins.  :-X

Re the Tamiya tape. Just think of the price it was then and what it would be now and indeed in a few months time given the strength of the £. Sound investment  :thumbsup:  ;D

Humbrol ? They do eventually solidify but take ages unless the lid is not secure. Almost measured on geological scales in my experience. I have some (read loads) of Authentics that are 40 years old at least and still good  :thumbsup:

loupgarou

MY workbench is completely buried under different geological strata of half-built models, books/magazines/photocopies, tools etc  :banghead:
In the last few years, I couldn't manage to get the airbrush working for me, so when I arrived at the painting phase, work was stopped.  :rolleyes:
Now it looks like I have managed to do at least simple paint jobs, and started again modelling and painting. BUT, BUT, I had to move working to the computer desk, in another (and far) room, as the workbench surface is as yet unreachable.
I am trying to complete the work-in-progress jobs. Maybe one day, I'll get back to the "proper" workbench....
Expect, I hope, a stream of completed builds in the forum, going back to when I first registered.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Joe C-P

I know we all like to joke about how our hobby tables are messier than anyone else, but really, clean it up, because in six months when you've finally nearly completed a model and you can't find that last part...  :banghead:
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

zenrat

Quote from: JoeP on April 01, 2017, 01:03:45 PM
I know we all like to joke about how our hobby tables are messier than anyone else, but really, clean it up, because in six months when you've finally nearly completed a model and you can't find that last part...

...you reach for another kit, use the part you need and hey presto! it's slightly more whiffy.
Fred

The Chaos

This organizer Boxes are very good for parts and Greebles, I must buy it in the future.