Tracking kit releases

Started by strobez, February 06, 2017, 10:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strobez

Besides whiffing away my time Here with you gents, I also spend a fair amount of time on Scalemates.com and I've grown quite fond of the kit release timelines.  I'm not sure why, but it fascinates me to see which kits are repops of older toolings (sometimes surprisingly so).

Anyway, I've been doing my best to put my Korean language skills to good use to deduce the origins and timelines for a bunch of Academy kits, but it's surprisingly difficult.  Unlike my other passions (like comic books and football/soccer) it's extremely difficult to track any release information. Most kit instructions have, at best, a copyright that dates back to the original boxing, but little else.

So, while I'm not expecting a magic bullet solution, I'm wondering if any of the more experienced modellers here have any suggestions.  Even though I suspect the only answer is "meticulous research and some educated guesses, perhaps there's some bit of information I've overlooked.
Thanks!

Greg

rickshaw

Have you thought of asking the kit manufacturing companies?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

I would suggest carbon dating but that is probably only viable with older Airfix and Hasegawa releases.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rheged

Quote from: zenrat on February 07, 2017, 12:19:07 AM
I would suggest carbon dating but that is probably only viable with older Airfix and Hasegawa releases.

I agree that archaeology and a close study of the fossil records might help.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Quote from: strobez on February 06, 2017, 10:26:46 PM
Besides whiffing away my time Here with you gents, I also spend a fair amount of time on Scalemates.com and I've grown quite fond of the kit release timelines.  I'm not sure why, but it fascinates me to see which kits are repops of older toolings (sometimes surprisingly so).

Must admit I quire enjoy looking at them as well
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

How about checking for publication/printing dates on the instructions or boxes?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Some REALLY ancient kits have the original design date moulded onto the inside of one of the larger parts, one wing usually.

And some even older ones have them moulded on the OUTSIDE, Aurora being the prime candidate as I recall!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit