Merkava SPAAG

Started by silverwindblade, February 05, 2017, 12:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverwindblade

So, last year I got given a couple of kits by someone I used to be friends with. I won't go into the details, but he did something that lead to him and I falling out.

Not being one to waste models, I've been in a mood to build some armour lately after doing some Gundam modelling and enjoying the weathering. Said Ex-friend (I found out afterward) was not a fan of my WHIF modelling, so what better way to flip his memories and the awful things he did to me and others the bird by making a WHIF out of the models he gave me?

I love the Merkava, and I also have a big love for SPAA. Combining the two seemed like a good idea, and since I happen to have a Gepard right here, transplanting the turret seemed like a natural move!

Said unmentionable person had already mostly built up the Merkava, but luckily hadn't fitted the tracks, or glued the hull top and bottom together. That makes my life a lot easier xD
I cut the turret ring out of the Gepard upper hull using my rotary tool, and it fits nicely over the top of Merkava's hull ring. This should hopefully be a relatively straightforward build, fingers crossed.

Hopefully I can get this one finished fairly quick, though I don't want to cut any corners with it.

Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!

Old Wombat

Nice start, I'll be watching! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

Looks interesting and plausible.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Zombolt

I know the feeling of having a kit from someone who use to be a friend...Nice that you can do something positive with it, and something cool to boot.

jcf

silverwindblade

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on February 08, 2017, 02:51:14 PM
Zeon or Earth?  ;)

Haha, I hadn't even thought about that xD

Probably neither, I haven't decided on what markings to put it in. If any, given that Armour carries so few anyway normally.
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...

silverwindblade

Got some more bench time in today (and will have more tomorrow!)
Turret is more-or-less built up, just got to add some of the small details on the hull (headlights, etc) and then it should be ready for priming.
Not going to bother with much stowage for this; I've never seen many pics of SPAA with much stowage on it anyway.
Going to go for Israeli colours, but I'll need some more paint before I can get that far; probably no painting until next weekend.

kerick

That's a really nice combo! Looks like it was designed that way from the beginning.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Gondor

Makes me tempted to build My Chieftain Marksman SPAAG that's in the stash

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

seadude

Interesting concept.  :wub: I'm thinking of doing something similar in the future, but with a M1 Abrams chassis and parts from a Takom Gepard. Though the guns will be a bit larger.  ;D
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.

Old Wombat

What a beast! Good start! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

silverwindblade

Major construction finished today and got some undercoat on. Unfortunately, that's as far as I can go now, as I need some paint for that unusual shade of brown/green that Israeli vehicles use, so will be looking for that in my various LMS's... which are all unfortunately not open on Sundays. As I don't work in the city centre either, I'll have to hope I can find something next Saturday, as I won't have time to make it before then.
Still, it's looking good otherwise!

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

silverwindblade

Quote from: Gondor on February 19, 2017, 09:46:48 AM
Try this

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X810

Gondor

Thanks - managed to find the Lifecolour Acrylic in the same shade though and ordered a couple of bottles. I don't really get on with enamels particularly either. I appreciate the assistance though!

kerick

Can't help thinking of where to put the TOW missile launch box. You know, for self defense......
Tophe the Wise