Yes - Yet another MB-5

Started by JayBee, February 05, 2017, 12:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

Having suggested to PR19Kit that his upcoming MB-5 build was likely to be a/ a Reno racer, or b/ an example "acquired"  by Soviet Russia for secret testing, or c/ a Zwilling.
I was surprised when Kit said that I was correct on one count, and then Robert/Kitnut617 said he already had the F-82 lookalike in hand.
Then Kit confirmed that his was going to be a Reno racer.
So, that left the Russian idea and the back story was bubbling up in my head.

First to stop anyone suggesting that this is the MB-5 that I started some time ago, and therefore too early for the group build, I present this photo which shows the first kit, on the right, with the one for this build on the left.

Nothing else to say at the moment, watch this space.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Hehehe, you BET we're watching this space Jim.  ;D

Telford's going to be knee deep in MB5s.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Martin Bakers.  I've mentioned elsewhere that a few of us have other MBs in our stashes.  My MB2 is due a date with some varnish in the near future.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

That'll be good Lee, I don't think I've ever seen a model of an MB2.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Work has now properly started on this and the first point was the wing/fuselage joint. As has been mentioned on other threads this is a (not so) flat butt joint and some form of reinforcement is needed.
Kit has mentioned that he is using piano wire, the Wooksta has mentioned the need for "wiggle space" when drilling holes for the rods/wires. I have a different view of this.
I have two points, first I want to use plastic rod so that the glue will bind everything together, and second I want the holes drilled to line up properly.
So this how I have started.
First decide where the holes have to be , then drill them into the fuselage halves (not yet joined together).

Then you have to somehow hold the wing in position on the fuselage half.
I did this by lightly tack glueing the wing in place, just enough to hold it in position but too much to stop it being separated after you have done the drilling.

Then drill through from the inside of the fuselage, and you have the holes in the right place (hopefully!)

Finally a shot showing the plastic rod (Contrail Styrene Rod of 2mm dia.) in place.

Of course there is another story.
When I was trying to drill these 2mm holes I found that my 2mm drill bit was so worn that it would not even drill plastic.  :banghead:
So it was off to the local DIY superstores.
Do you know they do not sell single drill bits anymore. You have to buy them in packs of three!!!!!!  :banghead: :banghead:
Where have the good old ironmongers stores gone. You know where you could go in and ask for a lower left stress sprag for a thrungsplatter, and the wizened gent behind the counter would ask if it was a lefthand or righthand one that you required, Sir.

Enough for the moment, back to the plastic. With any luck that might be more soothing.

Then there is the other other story.
My first MB-5 does not yet have any holes drilled in place and the fuselages halves, and wing upper and lower parts are all glued together.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

I like that idea Jim, very clever, but needs a certain amount of forward planning, not my best field these days.  ;D

I know what you mean about buying drills, so many places only sell sets of a dozen or so, in increasing sizes. So that when the smaller one break, as in their wont, you end up with maybe a dozen 1.5 mm drills and larger, crazy!  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 11, 2017, 09:02:55 AM

I know what you mean about buying drills, so many places only sell sets of a dozen or so, in increasing sizes. So that when the smaller one break, as in their wont, you end up with maybe a dozen 1.5 mm drills and larger, crazy!  :banghead:

The best places to go are the stores that specifically cater to the industrial businesses, one I went to sold me a couple of packets of "number' drill bits, each packet having about half a dozen of the same size and they weren't that expensive. DIY stores don't do that ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

I found my local tool hire place will sell some of their stuff too, even new and unused.

I got some fractional inch drills there last year, which are almost extinct elsewhere, thanks to blasted Metrication.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: JayBee on February 11, 2017, 07:20:03 AM
Where have the good old ironmongers stores gone. You know where you could go in and ask for a lower left stress sprag for a thrungsplatter, and the wizened gent behind the counter would ask if it was a lefthand or righthand one that you required, Sir.

They went bust because they closed at 5pm and half day on Wednesdays, never opened at all on Sundays, didn't have free parking, didn't have anything to entertain the wife and kids, couldn't match the prices of companies who bought drills by the thousand because they were buying them by the dozen, and couldn't serve you in under half-an-hour if more than three people walked into the shop at the same time...

I miss them too....:-\
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

The Wooksta!

I said nothing about "wiggle room".  That is a scurrilous lie.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Quote from: JayBee on February 11, 2017, 07:20:03 AM

My first MB-5 does not yet have any holes drilled in place and the fuselages halves, and wing upper and lower parts are all glued together.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Relatively easy to sort out JayBee.

Work out where on the wing you want the holes to go and after applying some masking tape to cover where you want to hole, mark on the tape its position extending the vertical component of what I am guessing would be a + shaped mark, so that they extend onto the upper and lower surfaces of the wing. Then offer up the wing to the fuselage and place corresponding marks on the fuselage which you join together to form the vertical axis for the location of your fuselage hole. Next you only need to measure from either the upper or lower wing surface to the centre of your mark and apply that the the marks transferred to the fuselage.  :o
And there you have it! One confused modeller and a set of marks that look like a set of calibration marks as used on a B-36  :unsure:
or possibly a set of matching locations for holes in both wing and fuselage.  ;D

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

When tacking parts together temporarily I like to use tiny amounts of superglue as it is brittle meaning parts can easilly be detached without too much force being needed.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on February 12, 2017, 02:06:29 AM

When tacking parts together temporarily I like to use tiny amounts of superglue as it is brittle meaning parts can easilly be detached without too much force being needed.

I've done that too, but as the parts concerned are usually my fingers I find that no matter how little force is applied to separate them, it usually HURTS!  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I always glue my fingers to something when using superglue.
But never again.
I have purchased a tube of superglue remover thus guaranteeing I will never have need of it so it can remain untouched in a drawer for all eternity.

Or, i'll solidly glue myself to the bench in a position where I can't quite reach the drawer its in...

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Thanks for the tips on drilling those corresponding holes Jim.  :thumbsup: I shall try that out on my next one.

As for old style Ironmongers, we still have one in Norwood Junction and yes you still can buy odd numbers of some very odd things.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.