BAC Canberra S.28

Started by Glenn Gilbertson, February 04, 2017, 07:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Gilbertson

This started as an idea for the Old Kit group build, but real life got in the way.
I always liked the look of the "Ultimate Canberra" P.28 (MOD) project of 1959 as shown in The English Electric Canberra (Roland Beaumont & Arthur Read, Ian Allan Ltd., London 1984, Chap.23). A low-level strike aircraft, changes from the B.(I).8 included ejection seats for both crew in the nose and canopy of the P.R.9, higher powered RR Avon RA 24s, six feet removed from both wingtips, power operated controls and 500 gal. wingtip tanks.

Donor kits from Frog & Matchbox:

Finding an article by D.R.Branchett in Aeroplane Monthly, Vol 27 no.6, June 1999 altered the plan somewhat. It revealed that on cancellation of TSR 2 BAC resurrected the P.28 project to incorporate the RR Spey engine. P.28A Phase 0 was to be a minimum-change alteration of the B.2; Phase 1 was to be similar to the P.28A (MOD) but the nose cone needed an additional 18" to house TSR 2 electronics,  Phase 2 changed the engine nacelles and involved many structural changes, some adapted from the Martin B-57. A P.28B would have reduced the span to just 41ft, leading to a whole host  of further structural changes.
In my scenario the treasury would have refused the proposed F.111K purchase, found the P.28A phase 2 and P.28B too ambitious, risky and expensive but funded a mix of the Buccaneer and the longer-ranged P.28A phase 1as the BAC Canberra S.28.
The build involved the fuselage of the Matchbox PR.9, the wings of the Frog B.(I)8, PR.9 engine front copies inside Matchbox Meteor large engine cowlings and a nose from the Airfix Phantom II. Tiptanks from ancient Revell  F.89 pods plus Airfix Bf.110 drop tank noses (in hindsight, carved wooden dowel would have been easier). Miliput also featured heavily. Decals from the PR.9, Revell B.(I).8, Sharkmouth from an ancient sheet for a 112 Sqn Sabre. Lining from Xtradecal. Brush painted in Humbrol enamels. I only realised with this build that the upper camouflage scheme for the PR.9 is the mirror image of that for the B.(I).8 - does anyone know why?

The leftover parts will not go to waste – another project looms!
The BAC Canberra S.28, 3 Squadron, RAF Laarbruch 1972:

It is amazing how much more shark-like the extra 18 inches makes the nose!

PR19_Kit

Canberra cross-kitting to the max.  :thumbsup:

That works pretty well.  ;D

As for the mirror image camo scheme, could it be a resurrection of the WWII A and B scheme procedure?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

63cpe

Wooooow! Great work...love it! Got me inspired to build a PR Canberra too...maybe fit Scorpion wings and tiptanks to it...

I Love the sharkmouth and eye even better on your model than the one on the plane jane Canberra...! :wub:

It's fantastic, it's true! believe me It's true....

Thanks for sharing,

David

Hobbes

rickshaw

Very nice.  I did my version as the Canberra S.28,   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Oh I do like that  :bow: Just surprised they didn't actually do something like it  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Martin H

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 04, 2017, 10:38:20 PM
Canberra cross-kitting to the max.  :thumbsup:

That works pretty well.  ;D

As for the mirror image camo scheme, could it be a resurrection of the WWII A and B scheme procedure?

Kit must be in shock. He didnt mention the reduction of the the wing span in a negative light.  ;D  :wacko: ;D

I like the look of this beast  :thumbsup:

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on February 05, 2017, 06:44:35 AM

Kit must be in shock. He didnt mention the reduction of the the wing span in a negative light.  ;D  :wacko: ;D

I like the look of this beast  :thumbsup:

I am, I am. I may have to go into a dark room and lie down..............  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Yeeee dogies that's nice!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

sandiego89

Well done. Reminds me of the short winged Meteor. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Pellson

Fantastic! Never knew there even was actual sketches of such an aircraft when I cut the plastic for my own version a year ago or so.

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

DogfighterZen

Looks great! And i love the pics too, nice work! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Glenn Gilbertson

Thanks for the kind words - glad it gave some pleasure. Hope you have recovered, Kit!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Glenn Gilbertson on February 10, 2017, 09:54:51 AM
Thanks for the kind words - glad it gave some pleasure. Hope you have recovered, Kit!

I had to rest for quite a while but I'm OK now thanks.  ;D

Regards
Kit