Does Klear/Future protect against lacquer thinner?

Started by strobez, February 01, 2017, 04:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strobez

Ok... here's my question.  I was working on my 1/72 Corsair and painted it blue/grey/white using Tamiya acrylics.  After everything was dry, I gave it a top spray with Klear/Future and waited 24 hours before using a bit of Tamiya's pre-mixed panel liner.

My understanding is that the Future coat is supposed to protect the undercoat of paint.  You apply the panel wash, let capillary action draw it into all the groves, and then you use a Cotten swab with a bit of lacquer thinner to clean up any over runs (or the "dots" left where the brush touches down).

Well I did all that, and almost instantly the cotten swab cut through Future/Paint and almost through the primer to bare plastic... and would have within another couple of rubs.

To put it mildly, I wasn't pleased.  I'm wondering if maybe I didn't use enough Future, but I was really trying hard to get a thin and even coat - my usual efforts leave a sort of glazed doughnut look to them. Regardless though, I really didn't expect the lacquer thinner to act like that given how little I was using and how lightly I was rubbing the cotten swab.

Luckily, another quick coat of grey covered up the problem areas of the wings, and I'm planning to re-apply the coat of Future today... should I just go for the gusto? Or am I doing something else wrong here?
Thanks!

Greg

CANSO

Quote from: strobez on February 01, 2017, 04:31:52 PMLuckily, another quick coat of grey covered up the problem areas of the wings, and I'm planning to re-apply the coat of Future today... should I just go for the gusto? Or am I doing something else wrong here?
From my own experience:
Never use acetone, lacquer thinner or similar on Future.
Do not use alcohol on Future as well. (Neither vodka, nor gin.)
Use enamel thinners, white spirit, turpentine etc. on Future. Tamiya liners are enamels - try to clean with enamel thinner or similar.
Let the Future layers (better 2 than 1) dry for 48 hours before applying anything on top of them (24 hours are not enough for some of the thinners). Future is self leveling and the layers are relatively very thin, compared to any enamel or acrylic varnish.
Some decal solutions attack Future too if it's not fully dried (48 hr.)
All above is IMHO. :thumbsup:

strobez

I just got this mental image of a mechanic looking under the hood to find the engine completely missing and saying "well, there's your problem..."

I could have sworn I read online that Tamiya liners needed to be cleaned with lacquer... but this makes much more sense.

Back to the bench for another try!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks!

Greg

zenrat

If you need to do so Future can very easilly be stripped with Windex (or another ammonia based window cleaner).  Leaves your clear parts streak free as well. ;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: strobez on February 01, 2017, 11:19:11 PM

I just got this mental image of a mechanic looking under the hood to find the engine completely missing and saying "well, there's your problem..."

I've got a good story that's almost like that, but it'd better be posted elsewhere on the Forum I think......  ;) ;) ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 02, 2017, 03:19:41 AM
Quote from: strobez on February 01, 2017, 11:19:11 PM

I've got a good story that's almost like that, but it'd better be posted elsewhere on the Forum I think......  ;) ;) ;)

Please do!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet