High in the skies of Northern Europe - Spring 1945. Finished Models

Started by NARSES2, January 11, 2017, 07:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

This will be a twin build of two AZ kits. Their MB 5 and Me 109 H.

Here's the MB 5 sprue shot

And here's the 109's. Loads of parts for the spares box, over 30 pieces marked not for use on the sprue diagram.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

For a change I started the MB 5 with the wings. Why ? Well as they are a butt joint to the fuselage I want to add a spar and I want to sort this out early on. Anyway the wings require you to fit two part wheel well walls into each one. There was a slight problem to start with. If you look at the build diagram and then the parts it would appear that AZ have mis-numbered them on either the sprue diagram or on the instruction diagram. It's obvious from a test fit which way they go but looking at them more closely I think they may be slightly mis-moulded ? Anyway fit them so that they meet at the undercarriage leg, which leaves a gap at the fuselage end but this wall is formed by the wing root it'self. I was concerned this would make the fit of the upper and lower wing halves problematic but no. One side dropped in perfectly and the other did after a little sanding of the wheel well walls.

I started to get a bit clumsy after this so left it there.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

If you had a spare fuselage you could build TWO kits from that Me-109H stuff, it's got two of everything else already.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 11, 2017, 07:57:22 AM
Twin build of a single Twin plane ? à la Twin-Mustang but asymmetric?? (MB port, 109 starboard) :unsure: ;D :thumbsup:
I love this idea, but I am not sure your project is this... :-\
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

The Wooksta!

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 11, 2017, 08:14:58 AM
If you had a spare fuselage you could build TWO kits from that Me-109H stuff, it's got two of everything else already.  :o

Personally, I'd use a Revell G-10 fuselage for the H as it has the DB605D engine intended for high altitude operations.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Tophe on January 11, 2017, 09:09:38 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on January 11, 2017, 07:57:22 AM
Twin build of a single Twin plane ? à la Twin-Mustang but asymmetric?? (MB port, 109 starboard) :unsure: ;D :thumbsup:
I love this idea, but I am not sure your project is this... :-\

No sorry Tophe, it's two separate builds

zenrat

Are those wing parts for some sort of zwilling Bf 109 at the top left of the second photo?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Thanks a lot for posting the sprues. Had an eye on the 109H for some time, but with all the donor material the kit appears even more appealing.  :lol:

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on January 13, 2017, 01:01:29 AM
Are those wing parts for some sort of zwilling Bf 109 at the top left of the second photo?

Nope they are the H's extended wing with large radiators.

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 13, 2017, 01:13:01 AM
Thanks a lot for posting the sprues. Had an eye on the 109H for some time, but with all the donor material the kit appears even more appealing.  :lol:

I've got two different boxing's, although one is inadvertently in Aircav's care until Huddersfield. One of the transfer options in that one is for a pilot who achieved 5 kills in the H but wasn't an ace as 3 of the aircraft were his own crashed on takeoff or landing  ;D Had a nice chat with Mr AZ at Telford about this little touch of humour on some of their kits  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Progress, the interior green and other internal colours are out and so far construction has been speedy and with no problems ; touching wood.

Hoping to sort the canopy issue out tomorrow so we shall see how that goes.

I was checking my British Experimental Combat Aircraft of WWII last night just to make sure the MB 5 could do what I want it to do, it can, and one thing that slightly surprised me was that the wheel wells were not totally enclosed whilst in flight. I just expected it to have "full" doors. One outcome of this is that my next one will have.  ;D

Edit - Just found a drawing with full doors, apparently they were removed after the initial couple of flights.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 14, 2017, 04:26:22 AM

Edit - Just found a drawing with full doors, apparently they were removed after the initial couple of flights.

Sounds like the one that I found too. I'll see if I can upload it, but it's pretty big as the original was to the ever popular 1/64 scale.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Got on with some detail painting done and the canopy masked. Should get around to putting some sub assemblies together latter this week.

Had a look at this issue this morning and found that if you line the canopy up from the rear then it fits the fuselage sides o.k. This then leaves you with a small issue at the front where the windscreen will be 2mm or so back from where it's meant to fit. This area is the front "bevel" that the canopy is meant to sit on. Easiest solution for me is to fit the canopy so it fits the sides and fill this frontal area up to the windscreen. Looks to be a fairly simple fix. Will it be accurate ? Probably not but it suits me as I think it will be a quick and simple putty job.

Anyway I'll try it out on this one and if it doesn't work then I'll sort the fuselage sides out on the next one.

PR19_Kit

How about building it with the canopy open?

Then the windscreen can be in the correct place where it fits, and the canopy will be at some distance behind it to be determined.

Regards
Kit

comrade harps

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 15, 2017, 04:59:59 AM
Got on with some detail painting done and the canopy masked. Should get around to putting some sub assemblies together latter this week.

Had a look at this issue this morning and found that if you line the canopy up from the rear then it fits the fuselage sides o.k. This then leaves you with a small issue at the front where the windscreen will be 2mm or so back from where it's meant to fit. This area is the front "bevel" that the canopy is meant to sit on. Easiest solution for me is to fit the canopy so it fits the sides and fill this frontal area up to the windscreen. Looks to be a fairly simple fix. Will it be accurate ? Probably not but it suits me as I think it will be a quick and simple putty job.

Anyway I'll try it out on this one and if it doesn't work then I'll sort the fuselage sides out on the next one.

I've started my MB.5 and paused at the canopy (even checked out the options with my canopy stash), so thanks for the tip.  :thumbsup:
Whatever.