FW 190 ARII and Halifax

Started by Allan, January 10, 2017, 04:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

The 190 is 1/48 and the Halibag is 1/72...it's the Matchbox kit....my late godfather flew a Halibag over Europe and completed 30 missions, I think, and I am doing his plane....it will be called Pappy's Pride and I am assuming for the moment that those words appeared on the nose of his plane...but that's further down the track because as you can see I'm only at the stage of cockpit work...still, it's a good beginning...FW190 will be a true Whiff with lots of colorful markings and perhaps antenna on the wings
Allan in Canberra

Captain Canada

:cheers:Excellent work on that interior ! And cheers to your Godfather for his work. Now speaking of work, quit goofing about and get back to it !  :thumbsup:

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TheChronicOne

Some glorious detail, dude!!  Choice work!

How did you achieve all the little white panel stencil outline type deals?? Itty bitty transfers? If so, and especially if not,  I have to hand it to you.  Absolutely brilliant.  :laugh:

-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Nice work on the innards Alan  :thumbsup:

I think you might lose your middle stump though unless you keep your eyes on the ball  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Allan

thanks fellows and here're some more snaps...by the way it's the Airfix kit.....and the FW somehow developed a dent in the upper fus that I think I'll leave there as it makes it look battle-weary....I used wallpaper glue to fill the gaps in the FW upper fus and then buffed it away...the part I used came from another kit, but I think it looks better than the kit-supplied one....we'll see how it turned out....the decals are 1/72 German instrument panel decals from Mike rant and no one can really tell the difference...the decals included some stencil-type ones so I bunged them on as well...and some more shots of the Halibag fus with wires and cords going nowhere in particular...looks okay

zenrat

Looking good Al.  You warming up for the ODIs against Pakistan?
;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Allan on January 12, 2017, 01:21:53 AM

....the decals are 1/72 German instrument panel decals from Mike rant and no one can really tell the difference

I hope they're calibrated in metres and not feet.............  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Allan

it's as low-tech as it gets, but this is how I achieved the correct dihedral on my Fw190 wings....the container holds shotgun pellets for tricycle undercarriage planes...

NARSES2

I tend to use the same system  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

For those young people reading this the container Allan has used once contained something called 35mm film.
In the olden days we needed to load this into our cameras to take photographs.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on January 14, 2017, 04:20:45 AM
For those young people reading this the container Allan has used once contained something called 35mm film.

I still have about 50 of them, they're VERY useful indeed.

A handy size for small drills, they can take a whole Humbrol tin of paint with some thinners as well, they have well fitting lids so you can keep all the small etched or white metal parts from a build in one place etc. etc.

Try and do THAT with an SD card!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: zenrat on January 14, 2017, 04:20:45 AM

Olden days indeed!!  Some of us still use slow speed black and white  35mm film for ultra-fine detail work.   It's sharper than the best digital camera (has a higher resolution)  and you can always get an image by shining a light through a negative.....Try that with an SD card.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

I had forgotten how useful film containers were until I discovered a stash of them last year.
Fred

Allan

Allan

I was a little busy the other day and so only had the time to post the above snaps sans commentary....as you can see, I've painted the wingtips red and masked them...ditto nose, but it's yellow and in fact is the color you find on the leading edges of the wings of Japanese planes...I like the shade very much and it's Gunze acrylic mixed with lacquer thinner...you can't see it because it hasn't been done yet in the snaps, but next came a coat of RLM blue as an undercoat...and then the greys on the wings....at the moment it's drying having been anointed in RLM 74 and 75 using Xtracolor enamel, but prior to that I attempted to use the Humbrol acrylic I enquired about elsewhere on this site....water was suggested as a thinner and, really, I should have taken that advice, but decide to use some kind of generic acrylic thinner....when the paint was exiting my airbush (2mm nozzle) it went on most impressively and covered well with a beautiful matt finish, but, and this is a big but, it started clogging the nozzle and required numerous attempts at cleaning the nozzle...so I gave up, let it dry and then reached for the Xtracolor enamel...maybe acrylic and I don't mix....and, yes, it was stirred and shaken properly for quite a few days before opening the lid and using it....it stuck to the blue enamel undercoat really well and hardly required additional coats, but the clogging was very annoying...okay, then water next time..