Pellsons Perceivings

Started by Pellson, December 27, 2016, 04:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellson

I just thought I'd put up a box into which I can put some thoughts and ideas I'm happy to have someone elses input on. From time to time, there might even appear the odd glimpse from the work bench or so. But mostly offsprings from a styrene poisonend mind, I'm afraid.

So here goes - the First Thought:

In the late 80:ies/early 90:ies, it was quite clear that the soviet empire was collapsing rapidly, and that they couldn't in fact keep their quite ambitious conventional ground forces at par with western technical evolution. And at this time, not even their large overweight in numbers could fully compensate.
As this became increasingly clear to western leaders, the western military focus rapidly shifted from the european battlefield towards different proxy areas, mainly in the middle east as we have seen during the last two decades, this refocus not only necessitating reequipment of the armed forces in different ways (f.i "fenced tanks" etc) but also meant that camouflage colours changed to better match the new fighting environment.

Now - what if the Soviet Empire some way (oil, gold or f-ing unobtanium findings) didn't break financially as in the real history? That would have allowed them to keep the pressure on the european front and thus the "home" focus on western european armed forces. Would we still have seen green/grey wraparound camouflage on strike aircraft, darker grey maritime aircraft etc or would we still have seen the unbelieveble boring development towards an even greyer military aircraft future? I'd like to think not. I'd really would have loved the Atlas C.1 in dark green/dark sea grey wraparaound in RAF service, not to mention the very very nice three tone grey maritime camouflage we could have seen on Marineflieger Atlantics and Orions.

Or am I too far from reality?

Thoughts and reflections, please?

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

TheChronicOne

Sounds good to me. It sounds reasonable and cohesive so why not? I, too, don't care at all for contemporary boring grey schemes. I want colors and camo!! 

Also, you could kill two birds with one stone as we're to begin a Soviet Group Build here in a little over a month. 
-Sprues McDuck-

kerick

A lot of the swing towards shades of grey is in response to aircraft no longer required to fly "under the radar" to avoid AAA and SAMs. In Europe the threat was considered to be higher from an enemy ac spotting you as you flew close to the ground so camo meant to blend into the landscape was needed. Now with little threat from modern SAMs in Iraq and the 'stan ac can fly higher to avoid small arms and shoulder fired weapons so air to air camo is more appropriate.

I do agree the greys do get boring after a while. Your suggestion is interesting. F-16s in Euro I? How about a Typhoon in green and grey wrap around?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kerick on December 27, 2016, 05:03:22 PM

How about a Typhoon in green and grey wrap around?

And why not? I was thinking just that y'day.

Almost any of the current 'Grey Ghosts' would look great in the older, more colourful schemes.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Pellson

Quote from: kerick on December 27, 2016, 05:03:22 PM
F-16s in Euro I? How about a Typhoon in green and grey wrap around?

Thanks, all, for weighing in. Really encouraging!!

I suspect that air superiority fighters as well as other assets that necessarily will have to work at higher altitudes most probably still would benefit from some kind of light grey scemes to visually blend in even if they're traceable via radar. As radar in many ways are affected by proper ECM, low visibility to the eye shouldn't be underestimated. Thus, you would probably need to consider in which environment your actual F-16 or Tiffie is to spend most of its activities to decide on scheme. As that gives an opportunity for different versions of the same basic airframe, and thus more whiffing opportunities - I'm unreservedly for. 😋

Pellson

....and as promised, a quick glance at the current status on the "Divine Area" (where creation happens):

DogfighterZen

Thunderchiefed Lightining?  :o That looks very interesting! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

kerick

Nice variety of ongoing projects!
That Lightning on the right looks very interesting.
Tophe the Wise

Pellson

Quote from: DogfighterZen on December 28, 2016, 05:39:57 AM
I'm Swedish, remember? You could call that a notched double delta..  😉

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Pellson on December 28, 2016, 07:57:46 AM
Quote from: DogfighterZen on December 28, 2016, 05:39:57 AM
I'm Swedish, remember? You could call that a notched double delta..  😉

Ok, i get it... :thumbsup: any close up pics?
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Pellson

Quote from: DogfighterZen on December 28, 2016, 01:19:57 PM

Ok, i get it... :thumbsup: any close up pics?

In time. There will be a thread in "Current & finished projects" as soon as I can get around to arm her up properly. 😉

Pellson

Absolutely no progress whatsoever at this time, I'm afraid. I'm currently recovering from some major surgery and things aren't exactly going as planned, unfortunately. No panic about long term but really annoying in the present.

Whining done. Over and out.