R.A.F. Mustang VII

Started by JayBee, December 02, 2016, 07:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

This is going to one of those OOB builds but with a new operational user.
The basic lit is the RS Models 1/72 P-51H.
This a nice kit giving two sprues in grey plastic, one clear sprue for the canopy, and a number of resin parts. No PE.
The resin parts consist of two bombs, six underwing rockets and the two main wheels. There is also a casting that gives six components, two rudder pedals, two small struts for the main u/c, one pitot tube, and part of the tailwheel assembly. These are all small and are going to be the Devil's own job to separate from the casting block successfully.
I really do wonder why they have been produced in this way.

To show what I mean about them here are a couple of photos.

URL=http://s652.photobucket.com/user/JBricknell/media/PUR1.jpg.html][/URL]

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

They're TINY Jim!  :o

I hope the Carpet Monster doesn't get them during the build. This is presumably what you wanted to know about interior colours elsewhere?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 02, 2016, 11:49:49 AM
They're TINY Jim!  :o

I hope the Carpet Monster doesn't get them during the build. This is presumably what you wanted to know about interior colours elsewhere?

Indeed.
The Carpet Monster may have a problem as I have every intention of re-fabricating them in real plastic. At least some of them, the rest will just NOT be used.

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

sandiego89

Resin rudder pedals in 1/72!  Think I would ignore those..... I do like the subtle changes with the H.  Good luck! 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

comrade harps

RS Models 1/72 P-51H is a kit that builds to a very nice model. Looking forward to see what you do with it.
Whatever.

Dizzyfugu

I am intersted, too. Have two of these kits in the stash - both with plans but lacing the right moment to tackle them. They look promising, though.

NARSES2

An interested modeller here as well.

As for those strangely moulded resin bits I think you are meant to sand them free  :o Tried it a couple of times with the end result being a lack of fingerprints   :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

JayBee

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 03, 2016, 05:31:05 AM
Tried it a couple of times with the end result being a lack of fingerprints   :banghead:

I know the feeling well Chris.
In my case it was a Welsh Models EE Lightning, 1/144, Vac-form.
The tailplanes are small and need to be sanded down VERY thin.
I realized I had maybe gone just a little bit too far when the white plastic debris from the wet sanding turned pink !  :banghead:

Cats are not real. 

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 03, 2016, 05:31:05 AM

As for those strangely moulded resin bits I think you are meant to sand them free  :o Tried it a couple of times with the end result being a lack of fingerprints   :banghead:

That can be useful at times  :rolleyes:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Dizzyfugu

You need a thin mini saw blade for them, and either a Dremel or a (smaller) engraving tool.

A horizontal cut along the "base plane" should be pretty clean and easy, but still nothing for shaky hands...  :o I think I'd rather scratch alternatives.

kerick

What scale is this kit? Looks like most of those parts won't be seen when finished anyway.
Don't see very many P-51H builds. Please keep us posted!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

JayBee

Quote from: kerick on December 04, 2016, 06:37:01 AM
What scale is this kit?  1/72

Looks like most of those parts won't be seen when finished anyway. Couldn't agree more

Don't see very many P-51H builds. There have not been any mainstream kits of the H in any scale before.
I used to have the old Rareplanes conversion for the H in 1/72, but all you got was the two fuselage halves. I think I sold it on to someone else a long time ago.

Please keep us posted! Will do, but please remember I build at the speed of a striking snail!

Jim

Cats are not real. 

kitnut617

Quote from: JayBee on December 04, 2016, 07:58:28 AM
There have not been any mainstream kits of the H in any scale before.
I used to have the old Rareplanes conversion for the H in 1/72, but all you got was the two fuselage halves. I think I sold it on to someone else a long time ago.
Jim

What were you supposed to use for the wings Jim ? They're nothing like a P-51D wing

There has been for years an injection kit of the 'H', the much overlooked High Planes kit. I've got three and a bunch of spares from them back in the 90's. High Plane kits build into very nice models, but they are definitely not 'shake & bake' kits.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kerick

At 1/72nd scale I definitely won't worry about those tiny parts. Probably would pop off and feed the carpet monster anyway.
There is a lack of post war aircraft models.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 04, 2016, 08:08:16 AM
Quote from: JayBee on December 04, 2016, 07:58:28 AM
There have not been any mainstream kits of the H in any scale before.
Jim

What were you supposed to use for the wings Jim ? They're nothing like a P-51D wing

There has been for years an injection kit of the 'H', the much overlooked High Planes kit. I've got three and a bunch of spares from them back in the 90's. High Plane kits build into very nice models, but they are definitely not 'shake & bake' kits.

I still have my Rareplanes vacform H fuselage. They give you instructions how to convert the Hasegawa D wing, gear and fin to an H. It looks reasonably straightforward, although I've never tried it myself.

Whatever anyone does, DON'T get the M News P-51H kit, it's diabolical!  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit