The Men from C.O.M.P.A.S.S.

Started by nighthunter, November 29, 2016, 12:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nighthunter

After the outbreak of WW2, thousands of pilots attempted to join the ranks of their nation's militaries. Many were rejected due to a criminal past or failure to adapt to a strict command structure. Others were discharged for crimes committed in service. During a meeting between Allied Air Forces generals and air marshals, an idea was tossed around, the creating of a mercenary command that would be under the direct command of the theater air commander. To be used for clandestine operations and missions deemed too risky for regular air force operations, thus C.O.M.P.A.S.S. was born. On December 20th, 1941, a call was put out to "The Best of the Worst" and professional mercenaries. Undesireables from all allied nations applied,  as well as several pilots that served in the SCW, and Sino-Chinese wars. Both the UK and U.S. suppied aircraft, both outdated and captured equipment, to be honest it looked like the Finnish Air Force TO&E. The Soviets were the only Allied nation to opt out of using C.O.M.P.A.S.S. and dumping personnel into it.  Common equipment consisted of, for fighters: P-40B/C Tomahawks, Hurricane Mk.Is, Gloster Gladiators, Brewster Buffalos, and P-36 Hawks; bombers: Martin Marylands and Baltimores, Douglas A-20 Havocs/Bostons, H.P. Hampdens, and Bristol Blenheims.

So, coming soon is an Academy-Minicraft 1/72 P-40 Tomahawk that I've had partly assembled, but didn't have the decals I wanted. So, while digging around for decals I stumbled across some 1/144 E-3 AWACS NATO decals and cut the compass out of them and C.O.M.P.A.S.S. was born.

Pictures when I get around to it.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

Sounds cool, indeed. Yay for pictures!
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Sounds like the plot of a bad action move - my favourite kind!
Can't wait to see some builds.

Have you got a definition for the acronym?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

nighthunter

Combat
Operations
Mercenary
Pilots
Allied
Special
Services
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Snowtrooper

Quote from: nighthunter on November 29, 2016, 12:41:19 PMCommon equipment consisted of, for fighters: P-40B/C Tomahawks, Hurricane Mk.Is, Gloster Gladiators, Brewster Buffalos, and P-36 Hawks; bombers: Martin Marylands and Baltimores, Douglas A-20 Havocs/Bostons, H.P. Hampdens, and Bristol Blenheims.

So, coming soon is an Academy-Minicraft 1/72 P-40 Tomahawk that I've had partly assembled, but didn't have the decals I wanted. So, while digging around for decals I stumbled across some 1/144 E-3 AWACS NATO decals and cut the compass out of them and C.O.M.P.A.S.S. was born.
Well sold idea. Now I want to see the full lineup of C.O.M.P.A.S.S. planes! :thumbsup: