Esoterica for the interested: Parsons Turbines of a WWI era US destroyer ...

Started by jcf, November 14, 2016, 03:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

From the book Steam Turbines: A Treatise Covering U.S. Naval Practice, G.J.Meyers, Lt. Cmndr. U.S.Navy,
USNI 1917

Loads of multi-page foldouts of sections through various types of turbines (Parson, Curtis etc.), reduction drives,
generating sets etc.

Gives you an idea of how complicated the support and operating systems were for steam power.

zenrat

Thanks Jon.
How were the boilers fired?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 14, 2016, 03:36:41 PM

Gives you an idea of how complicated the support and operating systems were for steam power.

Does indeed. Thanks Jon
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

zenrat

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

The Wooksta!

My Grandad on my Dad's side worked at Parson's Heaton works, which could be seen about quarter of a mile away from the house I grew up in.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Joe C-P

Three shafts? I don't know of any USN DDs with three, but I cannot say for certain.
Perhaps a cruiser?
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

jcf

zenrat

So the boilers were fed by stokers?
It just seems a bit odd to me that men with shovels would (indirectly) feed turbines.  I suspect you will now tell me that no, it was not odd but was in fact standard practise for a long while.

Fred

jcf

Seems they were a first and a last in terms of US destroyers:
First turbine powered, last coal-fired.
;D

And yes, the combination was not uncommon in that early 20th century transition period.
The RN Beagle-class (1908 programme) were coal-fired, although the RN was well
into oil-fired test programs and on their way to making oil standard.

zenrat

Fred