Real World - USS Aaron Ward DD-483 1/700

Started by wikxie, November 11, 2016, 11:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wikxie

Hi All
This is the Gleaves class Destroyer USS Aaron Ward DD-483 made from the Dragon USS Buchanan kit.
I've modeled it as it was in early 1943, after leaving Pearl Harbor after a refit and as it was in the early 2000's when I dived it where she lies at 70 metres, in Iron Bottom Sound in the Solomon Islands. She was sunk as a result of bomb damage on April 7 1943.

sandiego89

Greta job on the battle damage.  Well done.

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

wikxie

Thanks, I've spent a long time thinking how to make it look right and I'm happy with the results.

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Crackingjob

What a super concept....great work.....love the fact the pristine version is on brass stands.....you could always distress the section of stand under the wrecked version to add to it......though I do like the fact you just have the wreck as it is and not been tempted to add rocks and sand etc........WONDERFUL :thumbsup:

wikxie

Thank you! Displaying them like this was the great Ah-ha! moment for this build. I had considered putting it on sand etc but then how to display the '43 version? Doing some sort of water surface is way beyond my skill set. Then it struck me, keep it simple.  :thumbsup:

Crackingjob

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

wikxie

Glenn Gilbertson

Great idea and awesome modelling - well done! :thumbsup:

Captain Canada

Now that is a cool display. Excellent idea and execution. I real conversation piece and a great tribute to the men who fought on her.

:bow: :drink: :wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?