C

Dornier Do 31

Started by Captain Canada, April 27, 2003, 07:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Not sure if anyone makes the kit or not...but judging by that picture you showed us, a good start would be a B-29 fuselage and  an early 737's engine pods !

Have fun !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

lancer

Gorgeous looking beast isn't she??
As well as using a B29 fuselage, it reminds me very much of the AR234. Could you use one of them as a basis for the kit as well??
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Aircav

Hi' Geoff,
The Rotodyne is the wrong shape for sure, the fuselage is more rounded being 35.4mm high and 38mm wide (in 1/72nd scale), nearly a full circle.
I'll dig out a 3-view drawing and post it on the site.
In the meantime try

[a href=\"http://www.bw-flyer.de/neu/report/themen/vstol/do_31.html\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.bw-flyer.de/neu/report/themen/vstol/do_31.html[/a]

All the best
Steve
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Aircav

I was thinking of doing a version based on the prototype, either a Luftwaffe transport or Bundesmarine ASW.
:zz

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

lancer

Oh that VJ-101 is very sweet. Imagine those in service with the German navy (which actually had aircraft carriers) cool. The Do31 would make a great CoD aircraft, as well as a large number of other roles as well. SAR; Amphibious Assult; Fleet AEW to name a few...Roles that the Rotodyne could also fill...now theres a thought.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Geoff_B

Just wondering if anybody know if any version of this aircraft has been produced in 1/72. I was thinking this could privide the basis for a RN AEW/COD aircraft in support of the Sea Harrier or the Sea Eagle (1154).

[a href=\"http://www.paulnann.com/images/pn_w2616.jpg\" target=\"_blank\"]Dornier Do31[/a]

I know initially it was slow heavy and hungry but in our what-if world technology overcomes most of these defects. Also if developed think of the possibilities, German Harrier sqdns, German Naval VTOL ops, an Osprey type aircraft in service with the US forces in the 80's, a greater export potential for the VTOL concept around the globe, including Carriers ?.

Anyway has anybody ever seea kit of this (resin/Vac), or if not has anybody scratch built one or knows how to scratch build one of these unusual aircraft

Cheers

Geoff B

Aircav

Thorvic,
You've been read my thought's, I've just scale up some Do31 drawings...............

:zz

Sir Sydney Camm

Geoff_B

Just thinking if a Rotodyne would be a suitable basis for a start or would the Fuselage be too boxy in section, not actually having a kit to compare it with ? but the concepts are similar just the lift being changed from rotor to lift engines and the drive from Turbo prop to Pegasus

Cheers

Thorvic

Geoff_B

Hi Lee

[a href=\"http://member.nifty.ne.jp/AKATOMBO/garage/VJ-101.htm\" target=\"_blank\"]VJ-101[/a]

Be careful what you wish for !!!!!!!!!

No idea how to buy one though !!!!

Cheers

GeoffB

[!--EDIT|Thorvic|July 03 2003,05:07--]

Captain Canada

That thing ewould look wicked in that dark green camo that the Alpha jets were in...as a NATO close air support bird.....maybe even do one in Canadian colours ?

But, other than the pictures, all I see are squares where the words ought to be ?

Crazy....
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

GTX

Topic revival.

I wonder if a Gunship Do-31 would have been possible?  Nothing too big - may some miniguns or 20 - 25mm cannon perhaps?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

MAD

Quote from: GTX on February 02, 2008, 12:02:06 PM
Topic revival.

I wonder if a Gunship Do-31 would have been possible?  Nothing too big - may some miniguns or 20 - 25mm cannon perhaps?

Regards,

Greg

At least one Bofors 40mm Gun would be needed!

M.A.D

Rafael

Or the new bushmaster breeded 30 mm developments, projected to replace the 40 mm in AC-130s
Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER