Vacform Preparation

Started by NARSES2, November 06, 2016, 06:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

These drawings were origionaly posted by Kitnut. I have decided they are so useful that I will post them here and pin them and lock them

Chris

Back again thanks to Robert  :thumbsup:

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

There's also this piece by John Adam's which is no longer available direct (I printed it off eons ago) but has been posted on Britmodeller

Chris

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234983394-vacform-modelling-tips/

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Here's the sketches again. This is the basics, as you get more experienced doing vacuforms, you can reduce the amount you need to score and break off which will reduce the sanding time.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 25, 2018, 01:04:40 AM

There's also this piece by John Adam's which is no longer available direct (I printed it off eons ago) but has been posted on Britmodeller

Chris

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234983394-vacform-modelling-tips/

:(:(  :banghead:

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

I've a cheat - prime the vacform parts first BEFORE cutting them out, then instead of cutting around them some distance away, carefully cut into the parts at the join at a 45 degree angle then score away.  Sand down as normal and when the white plastic is gone, then the parts should fit.

Tried this a few times and it works for me.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

I like that idea Lee.  :thumbsup:

Well worth a try, thanks.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

It's not guaranteed, and I''d still test fit after some sanding but it is easier and there's less mess.

I'm of the opinion that there's no wrong way to do anything when modelling, whichever method works for any individual modeller is the right one for them.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitnut617

I was recommended this book, and I recommend it too. The sketches I made up is how it's explained in the book.

I wouldn't recommend wooksta's way until you've had a bit of experience doing vacuforms.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

I've got that book too, full of useful gen.  :thumbsup:

And if you can find it, there's one done by the late Harry Woodman too.

He was the guy who built a 1/72 scratchbuilt vacform Boulton-Paul Overstrand back in the mid-late 60s..................  :o :o :o :o

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 05, 2020, 04:10:43 AM
...I'm of the opinion that there's no wrong way to do anything when modelling, whichever method works for any individual modeller is the right one for them.

I second that.  I've seen so many arguments started on forums because someone has it fixed in their head that their way is the only right way do something and any other way is wrong.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

McColm

Thanks Guys,  now I know where I have been going wrong on my builds using vacform kits.
Was there ever a 1/72 scale vacform Lockheed C-130 kit? As there's a few vacform conversion sets available.

Gondor

Quote from: McColm on February 11, 2021, 04:31:56 AM
Thanks Guys,  now I know where I have been going wrong on my builds using vacform kits.
Was there ever a 1/72 scale vacform Lockheed C-130 kit? As there's a few vacform conversion sets available.

The conversion sets were made because there was enough interest/market for such a low production method of a particular version but not enough interest/market for the mainstreem injection plastic companies to spend money on and to make a reasonable return on.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....