RAF Super Sha'arm

Started by darthspud2, October 19, 2016, 09:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darthspud2

Just imagine , if you will, that Tornado didn't happen.
What could the British Aircraft Industry do to fill the gap after Wilson's Labour Govt decimated the industry and the RAF needed a complete re-equip.
USAF purchases would have been unacceptable, but buying from a supposedly non-aligned country could be a fair idea.
What we have here is a scaled mock-up of the proposed late life extension for the  Sha'arm , an in country upgrade by IAI of the Lockheed ( later Boeing ) F15
As the Americans wouldn't overtly allow these aircraft to go to European users the IAI versions were the only way the RAF could get front line aircraft.
This aircraft would become the Super Sha'arm although it was more commonly called the Sledge.
Armed to the teeth with guided bombs, Harpoon derivatives, Sidewinder L, Cruise glide bombs and Shrike derivatives along with a capability to carry a full nuclear load should it be required. The aircraft was loved by the crews of the 2nd Banff Attack wing.
The Wing comprised 220 Sqn OCU, 29 Sqn, 80 Sqn & 618 Sqn  based at RAF Martlesham Heath. All the units had previously been Canberra operators or had been stood down post WW2.

I think I'm gonna need a bigger display cabinet!!

PR19_Kit

Blimey, that's a load-out and a half!  :o :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

:o Wow...now that's a lot of Boom Bags and Go Get'em sticks... ;D

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

kerick

Pilot better pay attention to which buttons he's pushing!
Nice work!!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

Nice one ! She's defo loaded for a fight !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

darthspud2

Cheers guys.
I took inspiration from the 2040 Super Eagle advert I found online.
It's really basic F-15C by Monogram and had been sitting in my part built stash for several years.
If my skills were better I'd have done somewhat more with it. from extra rear hardpoints under the engines (like the Tornado GR4) and mer's on each wing hardpoint.
The refuelling probe/housing gave me a headache until I found a Tornado  boom in the spares box , which fitted almost like it was made for it.

NARSES2

It pays to be able to deal with most situations that may arise in life  ;D

I like that  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

darthspud2

I figured that any aircraft I modelled would need to be capable of a multirole mission.
So, Storm Shadow, Sparrow, Shrike, Sidewinder, lgb and a targetting pod should cover most land attack requirements and a secondary maritime strike capability with those Harpoon extended range fitted to the fuel tanks. I think if I do do another I'll square the wing tips and put lau rails on them. And extra hard points under the rear fuselage too.

Martin H

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 20, 2016, 06:40:50 AM
It pays to be able to deal with most situations that may arise in life  ;D

I like that  :thumbsup:
Aint that the truth!  LOL
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Old Wombat

I'm a little concerned about the torsional effects of the Harpoons being mounted on the sides of the drop-tanks like that, plus that the drop-tanks would be "sided".

Maybe if you'd divided the lower half of the tank into thirds & put a Harpoon on the 1/3 & 2/3 marks or into quarters in an X with a Harpoon on each of the lower markers, thereby balancing the load on the pylon & making the drop-tanks interchangeable.

Otherwise: Perfect! You can never be too prepared! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rick Lowe

Nice build! Love the '(over)Loaded-for-Bear' look. :thumbsup:

If you mount wingtip rails, maybe make it a double-stacked unit?

And the phrase 'Boom Bags and Go-Get-Em Sticks' is gold!  ;D :thumbsup:

darthspud2

Good point Old Wombat.
I may get a Hellfire pylon or two and use that rather than the drop tank and put the Harpoon (ER)  on the wing tip,rail and have the refuel option of a boom and no extravtanks.

andyreb3

Loaded for The Russian Bear & Red Chinese Panda .

kitnut617

Just use the outer wing pylon that was planned for it,  like this

my RAF Eagle F.1

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Rick Lowe on October 21, 2016, 04:50:17 PM
... And the phrase 'Boom Bags and Go-Get-Em Sticks' is gold!  ;D :thumbsup:

;D :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"