Novo Sea Fury - Spirit of '33

Started by Knightflyer, October 15, 2016, 12:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knightflyer

Well here goes then - A recent arrival at Chez Knight, grabbed off the pile for something simple to do when I was in a Travelodge last weekend

Scalemates says it's the 1977 Novo boxing of a 1963 FROG kit (so it predates me! Woooooooo!)  ;D

And as for what to do with it, well as I'm not a 'chopper and changer' the difference will only be 'skin-deep' but I have something based on this in mind

Oh to be whiffing again :-(

Dizzyfugu

Bare metal with colorful retro trim? Cool idea.  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Hope you go retro, often wondered what modern aircraft would look like in a 20/30's scheme  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Knightflyer

Okay so an update on the Sea Fury

It went together relatively well. I started assembling it in a Travelodge whilst on my hermitage weekend so when  got home I had to break the wing off as I'd assembled it with too much dihedral, however the replaced wing also looked better. I also had to scrap build a pair of main undercarriage legs as I'm pretty sure one was missing in the bag BEFORE I opened it, either that or Travelodge carpet tiles are the most effective carpet monster known to man 'cos I couldn't see it. Anyway, the first stage of work got me to here

I don't know why, but seeing it like this I always wonder about a 'short-nosed' Fury/Tempest. It wouldn't work of course, because things like pilots and fuel tanks get in the way, and aerodynamically having the prop only just forward of the wing.....

Then of course we get to masking. I know I should do the silver first and I could have also spray canned it ....but I did it this way

And after a few evenings work, masking tape off and two coats of Humbrol 191 applied also ...

and that's it to date Gentlemen  ;D

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

The Wooksta!

You know, looking at the photo of it sans engine, it does look rather 1930s-ish...  It's giving me ideas, and I'm too far into this year's Telford builds to start owt else!

Ah, b****** it!  Where's that PM Sea Fury?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Captain Canada

Is that ever looking good ! Love the box art as well, first I've seen of that !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Captain Canada on October 20, 2016, 03:47:51 AM

Love the box art as well, first I've seen of that !

IIRC that's the same box art as the original FROG moulding, or pretty darn close anyway.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 20, 2016, 07:23:57 AM

IIRC that's the same box art as the original FROG moulding, or pretty darn close anyway.

Yeah! got that one in the stash too ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Knightflyer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 20, 2016, 07:23:57 AM

Kit is right, it is pretty darn close, see below. The FROG box-top dates from 1964, the Novo one from 1977. It does actually show a differently marked aircraft, but in exactly the same deck position! ;D

I always did wonder about that. Did the Russians buy the box-art along with the moulds? Most of the NOVO boxings bear quite a similarity. Another question, did FROG have an equivalent of Roy Cross?

Of course, for the final version of the box-art, this happened! ........

zenrat

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Somewhere I've a got a big book about FROG kits and I'm sure it'd have something to say about who did the box art.

If only I could find the book..................  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 22, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
Somewhere I've a got a big book about FROG kits and I'm sure it'd have something to say about who did the box art.

If only I could find the book..................  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I found here...

http://retroscalemodeling.lefora.com/topic/8183103/Air-LinesFROG-172-scale-Box-art-Trading-cards#.WAxoJ_l95aR

This:
'Here is a set of 24 Air Lines trading cards from the back of their kit boxes. The box art was painted by the famous aviation artist, Jo Kotula. These date from the early 1960s.'
'...This same box art appeared on many of the FROG kits of that era as well.'

HTH

Cheers

zenrat

Googling Jo Kotula gives a heap of pics including Aurora box art and sci fi stuff.
Fred