The Shingle Machine and the Everett Massacre Nov. 5, 1916 ...

Started by jcf, October 14, 2016, 05:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

THE SHINGLE MACHINE
Jon Carr Farrelly 2016

The Everett, WA waterfront of 1916 was dominated by machines, not just the ships, steamers, boats and trains, rather by the largest machine of the period - the Factory.
A machine made up of smaller machines and millions of parts, including thousands of workers who were treated as just parts - replaceable parts that were treated with less respect than the machines of iron, steel and steam they served. Sawmills, Pulp and Paper Mills, and Shingle Mills were the dominant Everett form of the factory machine engaged in the endless process of turning the massive forests of the Pacific Northwest into lumber, paper and shingles. The Shingle Mills in particular were brutal places to work, each shingle weaver sat next to a large, unguarded circular saw spinning at high-speed and sliced bolts of timber into shingles, and then wove them into stacks. "A journeyman shingle weaver could handle 30,000 singles in a ten hour shift. Each time - 30,000 times a day - when he reached for one of those flying pieces of cedar, he gambled the reflexes of eye and muscle against the instant amputation of his fingers or his hand."1 The working conditions in the mills of all sorts led to labor strife, unionization and, eventually, the presence of the Industrial Workers of the World and the events of November 5, 1916, The Everett Massacre.

http://epls.org/nw-history/digital-collections/everett-massacre

This piece represents those machines and those Workers, both now long gone, this shingle machine has produced a stack of unexpected shingles - the mugshots of the 74 I.W.W. members arrested following the events of the Everett Massacre.

Mixed-media (wood, plastic, metal, paper, plastic model parts, printed I.W.W. mugshots attached to veneer) 14.5" X 16" X 5"

1. Andrew Mason Prouty, More Deadly Than War: Pacific Coast Logging, 1827-1981, New York; London Garland Publishing, Inc. 1985

Front

Back

jcf

jcf

More

Parts of a built up Airfix Maudsley Paddle Engine were used as the basis of the engine.

The Rat

And too many would like to return us to those days. A fine tribute!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

zenrat

Quote from: The Rat on October 14, 2016, 08:24:09 PM
And too many would like to return us to those days. A fine tribute!  :thumbsup:

Indeed.  Makes you think.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Yup a fitting reminder.

When I was a nipper museums were stuffed full of models* to show us our heritage. Many in Kensington's Science Museum used dioramas to show our industrial past and this is a fine example of the genre  :thumbsup:

* All gone now as the kids want "interactive". Just hope it's in storage somewhere. I'd love to see all the Imperial War Museum's old tank, ship and aircraft models. Used to spend hours in there with my Dad.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

jcf

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jcf

Sculpture is now on display at the Everett Public Library as part of their Centennial commemoration.  ;D

Captain Canada

That is excellent. A very interesting model. Thanks for the links and info.  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 07, 2016, 07:07:29 PM
Sculpture is now on display at the Everett Public Library as part of their Centennial commemoration.  ;D

That's good.  You must be proud.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Thanks guys. It's a piece I'm quite proud of, and has got the little grey cells percolating
about creating similar pieces. We'll see what comes.

Weaver

Excellent - it's in exactly the right place then. Well done Jon.  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones