Avro Anson --- Jet Powered

Started by kitnut617, October 10, 2016, 06:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Couldn't find a dedicated topic for this aircraft so I'll start one (Mods, if there is one please move this to it)

In my latest Air-Britain Aeromilitaria issue, there's an article about a recently discovered WWII project.

The Air Ministry was wanting to flight test a Whittle engine and was looking for an aircraft suitable for use as an FTB. The Anson was offered as one, the engine was to be installed in the cabin area, air intake was in the nose and the ducting was to go down the starboard side of the cockpit around the pilot's position. The exhaust was bifurcated, either up and out the sides of the fuselage and the efflux going over the tail plane, or it would have gone downwards and then out the sides below the tail plane.

The Cheetahs would be retained for taking off and landing, being shut down while the jet engine was working. Max' speed was projected to be about 150 mph. The idea was so Power Jets could determine if the jet engine worked properly when installed inside an airframe and also when in the usual flight regime.

If it had happened, the Jet Anson would have been the first jet powered aircraft as the memo from the Ministry was first written in Dec 8th 1939.

Can't help but think if this had happened, how the information could have led to something Dizzy has just built, re, his Jetfire
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

DarrenP2

ansons were used for a number of interesting projects including electronic survelience tracking German Night bombing aids like knickebien

Captain Canada

That sounds fun. For some reason I've been seeing a lot of Anson's on the web, and it just keeps coming lol
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

JayBee

The Heinkel He 178 first flew in August '39 so I do not think the Anson would have been the first.
However the basic idea of a jet powered Anson is rather mind boggling. Would the wings have stayed on?
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

kitnut617

It wasn't supposed to be performance enhancing, it was so Power Jets could verify the engine would work in an aircraft. I think it was an engine before the W.1 that was intended to be installed.

kitbasher

Quote from: JayBee on October 10, 2016, 11:44:09 AM
Would the wings have stayed on?

Probably, but everything else would get ripped or burnt off!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on October 10, 2016, 02:41:15 PM

That was my thought, especially the fire risk
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 11, 2016, 06:47:03 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on October 10, 2016, 02:41:15 PM

That was my thought, especially the fire risk

Not from the general arrangement drawing that is included in the article.  They were also considering the GA Cygnet too.  Eventually the engine got installed into a Wellington, just as much metal and cloth skinning there as the Anson.  It's more than likely that everything downstream of the exhausts, would have had metal skinning. It would only have to be where the hot air passes though

kitnut617

Well, as I have an Airfix Anson in the stash just waiting for something unusual to show up, I'm going to have a go at building this.  Just ordered a Cyber Hobby Meteor Mk.I 'cause it has a Whittle engine included.

KiwiZac

I know a guy who flies one, maybe if someone can find a Whittle engine...  :wacko:
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

kitnut617

The Heinkel He 178 first flew in August '39 so I do not think the Anson would have been the first.
However the basic idea of a jet powered Anson is rather mind boggling. Would the wings have stayed on?

Yeah! I just re-read the article last night, I should have said it would've been "Britain's" first jet aircraft to fly ---