I hate biplanes and Mirages

Started by Modelling_Mushi, October 01, 2016, 09:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modelling_Mushi

Hello all, I'm in for this too.

I have one week away from work now so I am getting stuck into the first of (what I hope) are three entries.

First up, an Airfix Albatros Dva in 1/72, new tooled in 1957. No photos, I'm starting this one today and hopefully in a week I have something to show. I hate biplanes.

Secondly, an Airfix Sopwith 2F1 Camel in 1/72, new tooled in 1957. I've made 3 or 4 of these over the years. I still hate biplanes. I took a pic of this one below.

Finally, an Hasegawa Lightning F.6, apparently a Frog moulding from 1968. I've actually never made a Lightning and I'm not sure if I like the look of them; but I'm Miraged out at the moment and because of the potentially ardu-os feeling I'm going to try my hand at this one. Even got a pic of it and some of the bits that will be wedded to it.

OK, is all from me until around the 9th.

Ciao

Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

kerick

Vostok parts??????

I'll be watching this one for sure!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Modelling_Mushi on October 01, 2016, 09:54:37 PM

Finally, an Hasegawa Lightning F.6, apparently a Frog moulding from 1968.

It's the other way round actually, the FROG Lightning started off as a Hasegawa kit, but then they cut some of their own moulds, but of the same kit.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Modelling_Mushi

I would've thought in a week Id have more to show, but I'm no DizzyFugu .... :(

The Albatros is about 1 week away from completion I think ....

The Camel about 2 1/2 weeks away ...

Yeah, no colour in them olden days ... maybe when it's finished?

And I've nothing to show for the Lightning.

Until next time.

Ciao
Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Modelling_Mushi

OK, its one more week down and I have some progress.

The Albatros is closer to completion, just decaling and clear coat, then adding on all the bits and pieces. Pics are all nice and very grainy "old style" templates from PaintShopPro.

First picture is the body, just after gloss coating.

Second picture are the bits and pieces, this gives you the idea of what she will look like once done.

The rotor, rotor head, rotor mast, skis, undercarriage mounts and side mount radiator are scratch built, as is the cockpit cover in the first pic.

One more week and she's done ... funny, I remember hearing that somewhere earlier  :rolleyes:

Second up is the Lightning. I've marked out the fuselage cut lines and sliced one side open. First pic both haves with lines laid on.

Second pic is of the fuselage half I have cut with the pieces laid out approximately in the right place for the fuselage plug (30 mm).

More later.

Ciao

zenrat

What did you cut the lightning fuselage with?
It's so neatly done.
High pressure water jet?
Laser?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

Nice builds so far. Like Chris says, the black and white photos are a nice touch ! Can't wait to see more of the Lightning !

:bow:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Modelling_Mushi

Hey guys, some small progress on the Camel today, started on the old style floats. Two picks, first up one side lofted, second with both sides and a 20c piece to show the size.

Once cured its a wrap and glue process to get the float done, then some stringers along the base to represent the wooden chines (? I think thats the word ?) on the base.

Quote from: zenrat on October 18, 2016, 03:42:30 AM
What did you cut the lightning fuselage with?
It's so neatly done.
High pressure water jet?
Laser?

Zenrat, I taped each side of the line and then used a steel rule and back of a #11 Exacto to make a shallow engraved line. I then cut through slowly with a photoetch saw blade.

Have to do it that way otherwise I'm going to end up with a banana shaped Lightning  :o Hopefully the bits have a decent mating edge to help, we'll see.

Glad you guys are liking it, I'm trying to post more regularly now.

Ciao

zenrat

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Modelling_Mushi

Little bit more progress today. Decals on the Albatros are drying so I've been pushing on with the Sopwith 1F1 Sockeye (I think that's what Ill call it, SWMBO thinks Sopwith ShagBat sounds better but I'm leaving that designation until I do my 'Sopwith ShagBat and Martin Baker Masticator' combo deal  :wacko:).

So today I've nearly got the main floats boxed in and added the wings, I made the call to recycle some Albatros parts and I got this ...

... so since I couldn't get any wafers I decided to use what I had on hand ...

Ciao

zenrat

I'm with Mrs Mushi - Sopwith Shagbat has a nice ring to it.

Or, Sopwith Stormy Petrel?

Fred

Modelling_Mushi

Morning all!

More progress - at a glacial pace mind you, which seems about the same for Photobucket right now, maybe they have the same guys from IBM working for them that our Census site had?  :wacko: Anyhow ...

While the matt coat on the Albatros is drying I have managed to make headway into the Sopwith Sockeye's floats. First up I managed to box them in and add cross braces. I am going to use "N" struts to attach to the fuselage, and "H" struts to attach to the wing. Also, I'll have two very thin ones from the front of the floats to the point behind the cowling where a Camel originally had its wheel struts. Whole lot is scratch-built from styrene rod. First photo shows the floats done, they are built as a single unit of two which should help with fitting.

I thought it best to fit the "N" struts to the float assembly before painting, and when done to attach the whole jigger to the fuselage. So I used some white glue to hold the "N" Struts in place to the fuselage, put the aircraft in a makeshift jig with the float assembly in the right place, and then use a few spots of super glue to tack it down to the floats. When the super glue is dries I can soak off the white glue and separate the two - I hope - paint her up and pop them back neatly. We'll see if it works.

Fist pic shows the makeshift jig with everything in place ...

... next from the front so you can see how much side packing I had to add to set it up properly.

I think I'd be lost if I didn't have toothpicks and yellow tape.

Ciao till next time.

Modelling_Mushi

Hello all,

So in trying to post more often I've done a bit more work today on these as follows.

The float structure came off the Sockeye's fuselage nicely, so I have started putting on the chine / strake thingies ...

I have finished the major chopping of the Lightning fuselage, the plastic is really thick which is both good and bad. Having thought about the undercarriage I didn't like the original high pressure button tyres set-up, so I have scavenged an old set of undercarriage and wheels from what I think was an old Airfix Mirage F-1 (see, I just can't get away from those darned things  :banghead:) which will fit in nicely here.

It will be posed like the F-1s gear, one door open and a further forward door closed when on the ground.

Next steps are to put the Ablatros together and then prime up the Sockeye. Next up for the lightning will be adding tab plates inside the cuts and setting up the wings.

Ciao

Modelling_Mushi

OK guys, the Albatros DVk autogyro is finished, some pics are up on the finished thread here http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,42756.new.html#new

For here, some bonus content (erk, the DVD buying is rubbing off on me ;D)

First up, an RE8 snaps this in late 1919 over the Russian front:

It turns out to be the new German forward fighter, the Albatros DVk autogyro:

Thankfully it's WHIFFED stablemate, the AlbaFalc, did not make it to the Russian front but was exclusively used in France up the cessation of hostilities with the Western powers in January 1918.

I'm getting a mini collection of whiffed Airfix Albatrii it seems ....

... and I have still 2 more in the stash.

Now to push on with the Sockeye.