Discussion concerning a jet-powered Supermarine Spitfire

Started by Dizzyfugu, September 19, 2016, 02:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Yes, this will be what the name suggests.  :party:

I wondered what a light impromptu jet fighter with an early Whittle engine, based on as much Spitfire DNA as possible, could look like? The bigger Meteor came rather late, and maybe the RAF tried to field something less complex against incoming V-1s?

The plan is a kitbashing of a FROG Spitfire Mk. XIV (from 1969, AFAIK, looks very good for that age) with a (Hehe) Yak-23 from Kovozavody (1981), for a Yak-15-style pod-and-boom layout.
Not certain about feasibility and result, but I like the challenge.  :mellow:

I feel PSR ahead...  ;)

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TsrJoe

take a looksee here for some conceptual 'Whittle' engine 'jet Spitfires' ...  http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,22689.0.html
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Martin H

Heres my take on the jetfire, I built this way back in the stone age...............

Im very interested to see what Dizzy comes up with. Im sure it will be good
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Gondor

I can sincerely say that since you build that model OGL your modelling has improved  ;D

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

loupgarou

Quote from: Gondor on September 20, 2016, 12:34:22 AM
I can sincerely say that since you build that model OGL your modelling has improved  ;D

Gondor

I've seen people sent as slave labour in uranium mines for less than that!   ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Tail dragger, very conservative. What surprises me about the many other "JetFire" builds is that a bulbous Whittle engine has been rarely used - most have a slender axial engine, and that does not make sense to me for an in-wartime design. Hence my choice of the Yak-23 as "nose donator" for the kitbash - and the plan is to replace the Griffon with as little of the jet engine as possible - but the round shape and the exhaust will become tricky. On the other side, the result could look pretty sleek, at least for a pod-and-boom layout with the engine in front of the wings. The fuselage length in front of the cockpit is very similar on both the Spitfighter and the Flora, just the bigger, round diameter of the Whittle jet engine worries me a little. That will take the most effort (PSR, PSR, PRS...) Dry fitting of the parts (on the sprues, no work has been done yet!) revealed that the exhaust should end up way far back, under the cockpit, with only a small "belly tunnel" for the jet pipe - my "JetFire" could even look like a decent aircraft, if calculations are correct!  ;D

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Martin H

Quote from: loupgarou on September 20, 2016, 01:17:41 AM
Quote from: Gondor on September 20, 2016, 12:34:22 AM

Gondor

I've seen people sent as slave labour in uranium mines for less than that!   ;D

Im in a good mood. He's off to a salt mine instead  ;D  ;D
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

sandiego89

The exhaust pipe(s) are indeed a challenge for a fat round jet engine, and keeping the engine in a place with a realistic center of gravity, looking forward to your solution.

For my whittle engine WHIF P-38 I went around both sides of the tail booms- Sea Hawk style...

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Captain Canada

Cool stuff guys. The early jet age is a lot of fun !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?