Boulton Paul Defiant NF Mk-VII

Started by TomZ, September 16, 2016, 09:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

dogsbody

Nice, but with that much extra power, it should have a twin 20mm turret, for that extra punch. At the least, a twin .50 calibre, maybe a Martin 250CE.

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Brilliant  :thumbsup:

I was only musing on the subject of a Griffon engined Defiant in my blog the other day. If I get around to building it she will be a R.N. dive bomber with either a Martin style low profile turret or just maybe a remote one as per the Spearfish
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

Ooh, yeah, that's what should have happened!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

zenrat

A Griffiant.  Very nice.
If it was a quad 50 turret rather than 303s would it look any different in 1/72?
I'd always assumed that the guns were physically the same size just with different sized holes up the middle.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on September 18, 2016, 04:50:23 AM

If it was a quad 50 turret rather than 303s would it look any different in 1/72?

Aeroclub white metal 0.5's are marginally "chunkier" than 0.303's from a quick look in the spares cabinet. You can tell the difference although if anyone would notice once they are in a finished turret ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Glenn Gilbertson

dogsbody

A Griffiant.  Very nice.
I'd always assumed that the guns were physically the same size just with different sized holes up the middle.

This:

is from here:  http://www.quarryhs.co.uk/CannonMGs.htm

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

Old Wombat

A Griffiant.  Very nice.

That's true for the Browning .30 cal & the Browning .303 cal but the .50 cal is firing a projectile with 2/3 greater diameter, I'd guess about 6 or 7 times the mass with a considerably larger charge behind it.
This requires a much sturdier body to absorb the recoil & a much heavier barrel to absorb the gas pressure. The M2 is, though, pretty much just a scaled-up M1919.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Old Wombat

Oops! Forgot! :banghead:

Nice build. Looks good! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Flyer on September 19, 2016, 11:36:29 PM
Love the look of this, looks mean. :thumbsup:

The prop looks odd to me though, like the blade pitch is reversed or something, is it a pusher prop that's been used?

The Griffon goes the other way round to a Merlin though, anti-clockwise when viewed from the cockpit.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: dogsbody on September 19, 2016, 12:33:14 PM
A Griffiant.  Very nice.

This:

is from here:  http://www.quarryhs.co.uk/CannonMGs.htm

Chris
Quote from: Old Wombat on September 19, 2016, 06:50:51 PM
A Griffiant.  Very nice.

That's true for the Browning .30 cal & the Browning .303 cal but the .50 cal is firing a projectile with 2/3 greater diameter, I'd guess about 6 or 7 times the mass with a considerably larger charge behind it.
This requires a much sturdier body to absorb the recoil & a much heavier barrel to absorb the gas pressure. The M2 is, though, pretty much just a scaled-up M1919.

Thanks guys.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..