Vought SO6U-1C Varangian

Started by Librarian, September 09, 2016, 08:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Librarian

Making a very late entry into the fold....I'm no fan of the Pirate so I'm pinching the designation. I was fapping about with an interesting looking Japanese model and thought that the tail section looked rather Voughtish sooooo..... :wacko: Want to do the markings for VF-24 on the USS Santee although the time restrictions might make for an also-ran. Fingers crossed.....

I'll post some piccies when I remember how to do it

Captain Canada

Wha ? Looking forward to the piccies !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Librarian

How does anyone build in this scale...so fiddly :banghead:.

My entire spares box is in 1/48 so that doesn't help :banghead:

A long and expensive teachers' doss...er...school holidays...has left me denuded of moolah :banghead:

Seriously considering a loan from the Bank of Nag, hitching up the petrol donkey and mosing off to Duxford to raid the Hannants Mine :wacko:

Seriously, having trouble with the pictures ;D.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Librarian

Thanks Chris. Unfortunately its getting the pictures off the camera onto the compoota (can't find the right cable) and then the photobucket miasma to look forward to (passwords etc...its been that long) :banghead: :banghead:

Old Wombat

So, which non-reputable scale are you building this in, if it ain't 1/48th? :angry:

;)

Librarian

1/72 :o 

I was putting some work into the cockpit and I've come to the conclusion that a visit to the opotician is long overdue. I've never had/used a magnifying glass and with this move to 1/72 I think the time has come.

I'm really oggling a Hasegawa Shinmeiwa for the OKGB...haven't built one of those in 30 years.

Librarian

When the Navy requested proposals in 1938 for a new fighter Vought started design work on what was to become the F4U, but Rex Biesel also began private design work on a high flying, high speed recon aircraft after reports from other countries of such machines being designed and built. Impressed with the design of the P-39 mid-mounted engine concept and recognising the streamlining possibilities he approached Allison Engines with a unique proposal. Could they take a 1200hp variant of their reliable V-12 engine and couple two together with an efficient turbo-supercharger. Allison delivered on their "yes" in time as work at Vought had quickly led to a prototype as the project encountered remarkably few problems.

The trouble free early flights at the end of October 1940 impressed the Navy to such an extent that 50 airframes were ordered for Fleet use. With the arrival of the Pacific War a larger order was made, and further variants produced as the war progressed. Seen here is an early SO6U-1 'Birdcage' , a blown canopy was later introduced, still serving late in 1944. It has been retrofitted with twin 20mm gundolas with its new designation of -1C (cannon) to work in unison with radar equipped picket-ships for the early interception and destruction of Kamikaze unit scouts. In this role the Varangian was successful and this example, operating with VF-24 on the USS Santee, became the high scorer...eight victories with five different pilots.

She was refurbished after the war then passed to the French Aeronavale where she served in several theatres including Indochina. She survived everything the world could throw at her and is now proudly exhibited at the Musée de l'air:

Couldn't sleep with the heat last night so had a real blitz on the model. Very happy with how she turned out ;D. Oh...and yes, the cable finally turned up in my wife's drawer of unidentified cables :banghead:

Built from the Fine Molds 1/72 Kugisho R2Y1 Keiun, a very nice little model.

Dizzyfugu

That combo works very well! Excellent! :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

I see it, and I like it ! Huge ! Looks like a big, powerful machine. Colours look great as well. Nice little story as too !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DogfighterZen

Not the prettiest of planes, IMHO, but that is a sweet build and story! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

sandiego89

I really like this, and the paint scheme is great- the white tail is a great look- seen on a few corsairs and fireballs I seem to recall. Great job.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA