My non whiffy year so far....

Started by tc2324, September 01, 2016, 05:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc2324

While I pop on here to keep tabs with whats going on in the Whffie Award area and the latest madness you guys are coming up with, I have spent most of my modelling time this year building in flight dioramas ready for presentation at next years 74 Tiger Sqn 100th anniversary reunion dinner.

In about 5 days time I will be purchasing a new release kit for my first and probably last what if build this year so I`m looking forward to that one.

Here`s what I`ve been doing,

Finless Jim

On 17th May 1961 Flt Lt Jim Burns flying XM141 EE Lightning F.1 was number 4 in a high speed low level 'finger four' pass over RAF Coltishall.
At an approx IAS of 575 knots, Jim got high and close into the jet wash of the lead aircraft resulting in the rudder and parts of the tail fin to separate. Fortunately the aircraft remained controllable and Jim (using aileron control) landed it safely at Colt
As well as the fin and the rudder, the radio aerial on the spine had disappeared too thereby preventing any communication. English Electric's conclusion was that it was the effects of aerodynamic pressure which had built up during the course of the four aircraft's high speed low level manoeuvre which had exposed a structural weakness and caused the rudder and part of the fin to sheer off. It would seem that Jim had a big boot full of rudder on when he entered the engine jet wash from the lead aircraft.
All Lightnings were subsequently strengthened and Jim became known on the squadron as Finless Jim thereafter.

Tiger Bounce

Back in 1985, 74 had had a pretty successful APC in Cyprus and flown against the F-14`s of VF-41 and VF-84 who were in the Med at the time. Feeling pleased with itself, on returning to the UK, the Tigers issued a challenge to all Strike Command Squadrons. 74 would man a CAP off the east coast and the threat directions were given. Pretty much every squadron turned up to see if they could get past 74`s CAP including Jags, Tornado`s, Bucc`s and even Canberra`s from 360 sqn on a jamming sortie. A tanker was on hand to top anyone up and NATO E-3 was overhead viewing proceedings.

Overall, a very successful and interesting day. But the highlight of the day is the subject of this build. Paul Day of the BBMF was on a general handling flight in a Spitfire and cottoned on to what was going on. You can imagine the surprise of 74`s Boss when his back seater happened to look behind and point out that they had been bounced and possibly `shot down` by a Spit on their 7 o`clock.

Despite the `loss` of one F-4J to a Spitfire, 74 carried out a very successful defense of the UK`s east coast that day. Coupled with the high launch and serviceability rate, everyone knew 74 were back and their new `toy` was a very capable and potent fighter.

74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

rickshaw

Very nice.  Loved the Spitfire!   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

TomZ

Great stuff.
I love how you did the tail on the Lightning.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Old Wombat

Quote from: tc2324 on September 01, 2016, 05:42:40 AM
Finless Jim

On 17th May 1961 Flt Lt Jim Burns flying XM141 EE Lightning F.1 was number 4 in a high speed low level 'finger four' pass over RAF Coltishall.
At an approx IAS of 575 knots, Jim got high and close into the jet wash of the lead aircraft resulting in the rudder and parts of the tail fin to separate. Fortunately the aircraft remained controllable and Jim (using aileron control) landed it safely at Colt
As well as the fin and the rudder, the radio aerial on the spine had disappeared too thereby preventing any communication. English Electric's conclusion was that it was the effects of aerodynamic pressure which had built up during the course of the four aircraft's high speed low level manoeuvre which had exposed a structural weakness and caused the rudder and part of the fin to sheer off. It would seem that Jim had a big boot full of rudder on when he entered the engine jet wash from the lead aircraft.
All Lightnings were subsequently strengthened and Jim became known on the squadron as Finless Jim thereafter.

Would this Jim Burns also be this Jim Burns?

Jim Burns' art
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Captain Canada

Excellent builds and stories ! Thanks for sharing those with us !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Both nice, but the Lightning is superb  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

tc2324

Thanks chaps.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 01, 2016, 07:18:34 AM
Finless Jim

Jim Burns' art

I`m afraid not. Your Jim Burns joined the RAF 5 years after this happened.

Tiger, Tiger!

DogfighterZen

Great work, both dios look excellent, i love a good "in-flight" display! :bow:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Old Wombat

Quote from: tc2324 on September 01, 2016, 12:00:36 PM
Thanks chaps.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 01, 2016, 07:18:34 AM
Finless Jim

Jim Burns' art

I`m afraid not. Your Jim Burns joined the RAF 5 years after this happened.

Oops! I didn't notice that! :blink:

tc2324

Some more of my recent non whiffery builds.....,

FAA Avenger shooting down a passing V-1 with only 20 rounds

... and my RAF Hercules Air drop

Tiger, Tiger!

Old Wombat

Dizzyfugu

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Hobbes

Excellent builds, all of them. The Spitfire has to be my favorite though because of its backstory.

NARSES2

Have to agree with the others, lovely builds  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.