Is it ok to mask over paint that hasn't cured?

Started by TheChronicOne, August 24, 2016, 11:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Just curious. The information on the cans don't say. I'm using rattle can Rustoleum.  Says it's ok to coat over at 49 hours but I seem to recall that it takes a full 7 days to cure all the way?

I'm just wondering if there is any time at all after painting and before full cure that  I could mask...  sure would help save some time.

Thanks!
-Sprues McDuck-

Martin H

Im not familer with the brand. But in general I would leave it the full time just in case.

At least to start with.
After a while as you get used to the brands properties you can tailor the drying times to suit.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

sandiego89

I use rustoleum on many of my builds and have pretty good luck after only 2 hours or so of drying if i use the low tack blue painters tape.  Overnight is plenty IMHO. 

-Dave

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kerick

Twenty four hours would be my first guesstamate. Try it on some scrap plastic to see how it goes. I suggest some tape with low tackiness like Dave said.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Do you prime as that might affect if any paint comes off with the tape.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Quote from: zenrat on August 25, 2016, 01:38:42 AM
Do you prime as that might affect if any paint comes off with the tape.
Yes, I do. At this point I gave the primer a full week before putting on my coats of regular paint.  That's another thing...do I need to wait a full week or am I being overly cautious? Primer is also the rustoleum 2x stuff.
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

I don't know about rustoleum but I usually just leave my primer overnight.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-