Nieuport 28 floatplane, U.S. Navy, 1919.

Started by CSMO, July 30, 2016, 07:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSMO

The Navy flew Nieuport 28s and Hanriot-Dupont HD.2s post-WW!. When personnel at Pensacola got the bright idea to fix a Nieuport with damaged wheeled landing gear by installing a set of surplus Hanriot floats, This machine came to life.

The airframe is a stock Revell(GB) Nieuport 28 kit built OOB sans wheel landing gear and rudder. The floats, struts, and enlarged fin/rudder are surplus from an HR Models Hanriot-Dupont HD.2 kit.

The parts fit perfectly, needing only drilling of two holes in the fuselage.

Testors #1110 Medium Blue mixed with some Humbrol Light Grey and #1114 Gloss Yellow were used for the paint colors. The colors matched the photographs that I had recently taken of the restored Curtiss NC-4 flying boat displayed at the U.S. Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, Florida.

The decals came from the scrapbox. The floats are painted with Tamiya Clear Turn Signal Amber acrylic. The model is completely brush-painted.

Adios, Larry.
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

DogfighterZen

Not really my type of thing but looks good anyway! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

nighthunter

Larry, is that the 1/72 Revell? Glad to know I wasn't the only one whiffing a Nieuport 28 serving in the Navy, lol
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

NARSES2

I really like that. Type of thing that might of happened back then and I'm suprised it didn't.

Great job on the floats.  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

stevehed

I like it. Would have made a welcome stablemate to the Hanriot in France.

Regards, Steve

Tophe

Nice colours, nice model. :thumbsup:
Is this "Navy" the US-Navy? (I did not know these roundels) <_<
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

CSMO

Roundels used in combat by the American Expeditionary Force in France and briefly post-WW1. Adios, Larry.
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

Glenn Gilbertson

That looks good - I especially like the finish on the floats. :thumbsup:

loupgarou

Nice job! And refreshng to see something more "classical" than those flame spitting newfangled jets.  ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Dizzyfugu

Very nice, and the colorful livery is pretty, too.  :thumbsup:

Captain Canada

Great job ! Love those big 'ol boots ! I have a soft spot for them from my Grandfather's old RC Antic plane.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

b29r