Ideal Toy Company Stinson Model U Trimotor.

Started by CSMO, July 25, 2016, 03:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSMO

This is an ancient box-scale kit from the 1950s. I built it totally OOB. The decals were shot so I built it's a U.S. Army Signal Corps transport, circa 1933.

The model is brush-painted Pollyscale Olive Drab and Testors Flat Yellow. Testors Gloss Orange represents the branch color of the Signal Corps.

The decals are from the scrap-box. The stand is from the kit. I hand-painted the rudder stripes.

I am pleased with this not-too-handsome beast of an aircraft.

Adios, Larry.

"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

kerick

Pretty nice considering what you had to work with!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

Great job on this one ! Love the way she looks in these colours.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

It looks like its concentrating very hard.

Great piece of work.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: kerick on July 25, 2016, 05:39:06 PM
Pretty nice considering what you had to work with!

Very much so. Never seen that kit before
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

That looks like an Aurora style box.

We had stuff like that in my friend's Oxford model shop in the late 60s. They had the markings moulded into the fuselage and wings and were moulded in such hard plastic that they almost needed a Dremel to get rid of them!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 26, 2016, 07:41:50 AM
That looks like an Aurora style box.

My thoughts or a Renwall box. The actual type face looks more modern though ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

CSMO

It's an original 1957 issue kit by ITC, the Ideal Toy Company. My local Woolworth's sold these when I was a kid. Adios, Larry.
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

Glenn Gilbertson

Shows what can be done with an ancient kit! :thumbsup:

KiwiZac

^ Me too! That's hilarious!

Nice work. I really enjoy seeing old kits built...being whiffed is even better!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

TsrJoe

ITC. kit was issued in the UK. by Kleeware, looks to be a decent enough kit (comparable to Curtiss Condor of similar vintage) it does suit USAAC. markings tho, nice work Larry
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)