Old Batteries on Cape Breton

Started by Captain Canada, July 20, 2016, 03:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Hi everybody ! Been gone a few days, had a job up on the coast of Cape Breton Island. As usual, the panic to get here turned into the hurry-up-and-wait routine. No worries, I loves a good ol' paid vacation me ! So our old pal Kurly and I did a few walk abouts....

We didn't have our weillies on so stopped about 2 stories down !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Then we found another one. Looked easy enough to get to

A lot steeper than it looked and probably 100 feet to the ocean !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Canso model

Old AA gun

This was funny. We were standing there reading a plaque about the Battery and the defense of the harbour, and this German tourist shows up and starts talking to us. He finally says " why would they do all that ? It was long before you had a problem with the Russians ? " I looked right at him and said " because of you guys !"

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

dogsbody

Where on The Cape is this? As an ex-mainlander Nova Scotian, I should know, but alas, I haven't seen all of Cape Breton yet.

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

KiwiZac

Great photos! Looks like a very cool place to visit. I wonder what they looked like in service?
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

Also looks similar to Fort Nepean here at the end of the Mornington Peninsula.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Nepean
This was from where the first Allied shots of both WW1 & WW2 were fired.
I guess there was a standard set of plans used to build the Empire's defences.  Or maybe they came flat packed?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Really great shots Capt  :thumbsup: I love old military architecture like this
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: zenrat on July 21, 2016, 03:53:54 AM
Also looks similar to Fort Nepean here at the end of the Mornington Peninsula.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Nepean
This was from where the first Allied shots of both WW1 & WW2 were fired.
I guess there was a standard set of plans used to build the Empires defences.  Or maybe they came flat packed?

I like the idea!  Eleventeen  huge cardboard boxes, a set of pictorial instructions and only a hammer, a cross head screwdriver and an allen key needed to build your own coastal defence system.

Incidentally, Captain, I forgot to say "Thanks for your posting these photos, they are very interesting"   
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Captain Canada on July 20, 2016, 03:11:33 PM
Canso model

This was funny. We were standing there reading a plaque about the Battery and the defense of the harbour, and this German tourist shows up and starts talking to us. He finally says " why would they do all that ? It was long before you had a problem with the Russians ? " I looked right at him and said " because of you guys !"

How big is the Canso model Cap'n?

And what was the German guy's response?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Thanks guys. And thanks for the links with the info as well.

The canso model was large, maybe 10-12 foot wingspan ? I have a few more pics I can load that show the size pretty good.

The German was shocked ! He was really taken aback by my statement. Then he started stammering about Nazis, and his dad wasn`t one, but some of the family was, and about his teacher post-war talking about what a shame Stalingrad was, as they would have won the war etc. I wasn`t going to argue with him as the sleeping giant was already awake  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

A pic to try and show the size.

Map of Battery sites

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

dogsbody

"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

Gondor

When I see the thread title I keep expecting to see pictures of some old PP3 or AAA batteries  :banghead:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Nick

This looks interesting! It reminds me of the gun batteries at Spurn Head or Harwich Fort, I wouldn't be surprised if the design drawings were shared around the Commonwealth.

The mention of Sydney Harbour had me puzzled till I looked at a map of Newfoundland.  :lol: