Paddle steamer aircraft carriers

Started by McColm, July 12, 2016, 11:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

So I entered paddle steamer aircraft carriers in the search engine Google and surprise !
The USNavy commissioned two as fresh water aircraft carriers for advanced training, carrier take-offs & landings on lake Michigan, the great lakes.
Both were former passenger side-wheel coal fired steamers. Greater Buffalo- USS Wolverine (IX-64) & Seeandbee/Sable -USS Sablefish (IX-81). Built around 1912 and in Naval service in 1942, scrapped in 1949.
  This got me thinking of building something along similar lines. Either converting something modern or kit bashing .
Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated in kits and scales.

McColm

Been on eBay and Revell has a 1/160 model kit of the Rheindamper Goethe which is a side-wheel steamer.
There's a vacform kit but it's a bit pricey, I guess it's a case of choosing a popular scale within my price range and gaining the experience in building them.

NARSES2

You could do a scalearama with 1/160 ship and 1/144 or 1/200 aircraft.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

You can't see much of the paddles anyway, if at all, so almost any hull would do I'd guess. It's got a VERY low freeboard, so I hope it didn't get too rough on the Great Lakes.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 13, 2016, 07:28:54 AM
You can't see much of the paddles anyway, if at all, so almost any hull would do I'd guess. It's got a VERY low freeboard, so I hope it didn't get too rough on the Great Lakes.

Seeing as they're really inland seas ...

https://youtu.be/hgI8bta-7aw

;D

royabulgaf

Yes, they can get quite rough.  The Great Lakes, especially Michigan and Superior, are littered with wrecks including the 26000 ton Edmund Fitzgerald, some 729 ft in length. 
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

seadude

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Doug K

1/144th scale, RC, handles terribly (like most model paddlers), dunno if this link will work but this is my Wolverine wallowing on Inverleith Pond, Edinburgh!

https://www.facebook.com/244852565540179/photos/a.245757542116348.82704.244852565540179/245758322116270/?type=3&theater

tigercat

There are lego duplo paddle wheels if you wanted to scratchbuild

seadude

Just recently got posted.  :thumbsup:
http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/cv/IX-64/Wolverine-700-brm/brm-review.html

Quote from: Captain Canada on July 15, 2016, 02:00:48 PM
Nice find Seadude !

Yep. I have the DVD. Highly recommended for anybody interested in the Wolverine and/or Sable.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.

McColm

Sometimes an idea pops into my head and I think did anyone build that?
On this occasion they did !