VF-1 Parade: new pics from a bunch of old Macross Valkyrie kits

Started by Dizzyfugu, July 12, 2016, 01:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Browsing through my FlickR galeries I came across my ...horde of vintage Arii/Bandai 1:100 VF-1 Valykries which I built maybe 20 years ago. The pics had partly (still) been scanned analogue paper pics, and while these have a certain charm I decided to take some additional/new pics from some of the kits. Here we go.  :party:

#1 is, even though the Su-27 livery looks wild, an authentic build - based on an "official" VF-1J in a Macross source book:

1:100 Macross VF-1J "Valkyrie" - "Blue 27"/Su-27 livery by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

#2 is a VF-1A, and actually a whif/personal design, painted in a rather gaudy scheme of RN Mauve and White:

1:100 Macross VF-1A Valkyrie "151" - individual livery by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

vf1a_malve_05189 by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

vf1a_malve_05193 by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

vf1a_malve_05185 by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

vf1a_malve_05181 by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

#3 is, with its USAF Egypt One paint scheme and the red fins, again based on a profile from a source book. The canopy was painted with clear brown because I did not have a pilot figure at hand while building the kit, so this was a convenient solution.  ;)

1:100 Macross VF-1J "Valkyrie" '296 Black' - LowViz/Two Tone Grey scheme by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:100 Macross VF-1J "Valkyrie" '296 Black' - LowViz/Two Tone Grey scheme by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

#4 is a VF-1S, again a fictional vehicle. This livery in ivory and black with red highlights is based on the YF-19 prototype seen in the Macross PLUS OAV, though - a series with beautiful flight scenes and actually the trigger for the massive build of VF-1s that followed...  ;)

1:100 Macross VF-1S "Valkyrie" '232' White (Macross Plus design) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:100 Macross VF-1S "Valkyrie" '232' White (Macross Plus design) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

#5 is, last but not least, a total conversion of the sleek VF-1 into a dedicated CAS vehicle, with some more muscle and even more punch. The wrap-around paint scheme, including the Red Star on the fins, is authentic and based on a VF-4 heavy fighter from a Macross source book, though.

1:100 Macross VFA-1J "Valkyrie" close air support '36 red' (Arii kit conversion) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:100 Macross VFA-1J "Valkyrie" close air support '36 red' (Arii kit conversion) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

zenrat

So these are new photos of 20 year old builds you've had stored away?

The VF-1S looks very good.  I think the extra dark panel lines work on it with the white paint as they emphasise its anime roots.  On a more RW type build they would be too black.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

scooter

That CAS bird looks great.  I had (have?) the idea to do up a D model as a Valkyrie version of a Strike Eagle
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: zenrat on July 12, 2016, 02:22:54 AM
So these are new photos of 20 year old builds you've had stored away?

The VF-1S looks very good.  I think the extra dark panel lines work on it with the white paint as they emphasise its anime roots.  On a more RW type build they would be too black.

These kits have actually been "on display" all the time...  :wacko:
And they are tiny: in 1:100 a VF-1 is only maybe just 5" long and wide, and the old Arii/Bandai kits are rather sleek interpretations of the Valkyrie. The much more recent WAVE kits in 1:100 are much sturdier and "realistic", and also with much better surface detail. These old kits are very simple ,hence the panel lines look a little bold - but that's part of the 80ies charm. And they have a lot of (whiffing) potential.  ;)

Zombolt

THose are Amazing, and it's nice seeing a realistic take on Anime Vehicles. I have a VF-11 but no time to do anything with it.

Dizzyfugu

The VF-11 has a lot of potential too, it is the standard fighter in the Macross PLUS OAV. I remember from a source book some bright color variants, but also one in a Lizard/Europe One scheme (yes, A-10 style...) with only a few bright markings.

Dizzyfugu

BTW, found a scan from the source book that spawned my CAS VF-1 build:

chrisonord

WOW they are brilliant, really like the look of these builds.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Captain Canada

Great stuff ! Hard to pick a fave, probably the first one. Love the dark gray and camo ones as well.

:drink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

Thank you very much. The VF-1 is really addictive, and this is just a minority of the bunch that populates my mecha cabinet. I guess there's a dozen or so of them in flight mode, plus some Battroids...  :rolleyes: