Boeing-Nieuport 28N-1, USS Langley CV-1, June 1918-Finished!-With Pictures!

Started by nighthunter, July 11, 2016, 10:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nighthunter

The United States Navy, as soon as war broke out in Europe, had decided that it was time for an aircraft carrier to at least ferry aircraft to Europe, should the United States become embroiled in the War. Josephus Daniels, Secretary of the Navy, approached President Woodrow Wilson and Secretary of War Lindley Miller Garrison, in January of 1915 with the proposal to refit the Jupiter-class colliers as Aircraft Carriers, at the time meaning nothing more than the ferrying of aircraft to Europe, should the need arise. Wilson, Garrison and the Congress allotted funds for 1 aircraft carrier conversion; the Jupiter. The conversion was completed in late 1916, as the USS Langley CV-1, and was publicly approved of after the sinking of the RMS Lusitania. With the severe plague of German U-boats suddenly becoming a reality for Americans after the sinking, it was brought to Daniels by Lt. Commander Theodore G. Ellyson, who had clout as the first USN aviator, that there was a serious need for Anti-Submarine-Warfare from the air, as sub chasers could only do so much at sea level. Before the advent of the radio, the aviators could just circle the area where the sub was last seen and the sub chasers could follow it's last known course. There was also the threat of German aviators against naval vessels when near the coasts of Europe, predominantly in Belgium. So, the addition of pursuit aircraft was needed as well as ASW aircraft. The USN deployed the USS Langley in March of 1918, with 12 Boeing-Nieuport 28N-1 navalized fighters, 24 DH-4NBT Bombers which could also serve as Torpedo Bombers. The USS Langley served throughout the northern Atlantic and North Sea. Only one of her pilots became an 3 time ace, Lieutenant Jackson Kendrick, with 15 Kills, 5 fighters and 10 bombers. This is his Aircraft.

The kit is a Revell 1/72 Nieuport C-1, Only mods are paint and decals. Currently a WIP.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Captain Canada

Nice story. looking forward to seeing the build.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nighthunter

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to this. School's been a priority. Soon, I promise.

nighthunter

nighthunter

Nearing completion, getting ready to finish detail work, then weathering and decals. Photos will be posted when complete.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nighthunter

Had to pause for finals week, and a lot of time spent at work, hoping to finish it Friday.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nighthunter

So, admittedly, Friday didn't happen, but today, Sunday, did. Decals are on. Weathering is commencing on Monday.

nighthunter

Yes, Folks, I've finally finished another one, and my first GROUP BUILD! Huzzah! I don't have Thomas's skills with photoshop, so these are a bit basic, lol!

Finished:

WIP Pictures, from beginning to end:

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

I like the cammo, too. Intentionally more pale and (as far as I can tell) more blue-ish than the land-based cousin's style?

Nice one.  :thumbsup:

Glenn Gilbertson

NARSES2

That's come out really well. Like others particularly like the colour scheme
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"