EC2 Hawkeye snaps arresting cable on the USS Eisenhower

Started by DogfighterZen, July 09, 2016, 10:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

I think the Hawkeye's pilot has got skills... either that or he's one very lucky guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-EHwYOfY94

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Leading Observer

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

PR19_Kit

The extra lift from the radome helped, if it had been a Greyhound he'd have gone right into the water.........  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Indeed both skill and luck- must have been on the very ragged edge of flying speed.  I have never seen one disappear from the camera so long and recover. 

It was the USS Eisenhower however (Nimitz class)
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

What would have taken balls was to go round and then have another go!
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DogfighterZen

Quote from: sandiego89 on July 09, 2016, 02:18:36 PM
Indeed both skill and luck- must have been on the very ragged edge of flying speed.  I have never seen one disappear from the camera so long and recover. 

It was the USS Eisenhower however (Nimitz class)

Yup, sorry...  :banghead: my mistake, probably carried the name from the video that was on next about the Nimitz. I'll correct it in the original post. :thumbsup:
The long time it takes to come back into view really made me think they'd gone down, i just went "YEAH" when i saw it coming back up. ;D
There's at least one guy on deck throwing his arms up when they pull out... too bad 8 other guys got hurt in that accident.

Quote from: zenrat on July 09, 2016, 05:46:20 PM
What would have taken balls was to go round and then have another go!

:lol:

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

rickshaw

Quote from: DogfighterZen on July 09, 2016, 10:20:10 AM
I think the Hawkeye's pilot has got skills... either that or he's one very lucky guy.

Very lucky, very lucky indeed.  I'm sure he opened his throttles the moment he lost the cable and did a bolter.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: rickshaw on July 09, 2016, 08:44:54 PM
Very lucky, very lucky indeed.  I'm sure he opened his throttles the moment he lost the cable and did a bolter.   :thumbsup:

;D But i bet there aren't many pilots making fun of him for this one. :thumbsup:

Hobbes

Quote from: rickshaw on July 09, 2016, 08:44:54 PM
Quote from: DogfighterZen on July 09, 2016, 10:20:10 AM

it's SOP to open the throttles (full military power, no AB) when they hit the deck, in case of a bolter. The arrestor gear will bring them to a stop regardless.

scooter

Human error below decks-

Quote from: The Virginia Pilot
According to a Navy report obtained by The Virginian-Pilot through a Freedom of Information Act request, maintenance personnel missed at least one and possibly two "critical steps" while working on an engine that helps operate the carrier flight deck's cables, which are called cross deck pendants, after a previous landing. As a result, the engine failed to slow the aircraft, instead causing the pendant to break "at or near" the Hawkeye's tailhook.

The Navy did not find evidence of willful dereliction of duty or negligence by the maintenance workers. The report said that while there was a "lack of procedural compliance" while troubleshooting an error code from a previous arrested landing, "the sailors involved reasonably believed they had properly and conscientiously completed the complicated procedure."

More here
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DogfighterZen

Yup, Hobbes is right, they have to do it like that and it wouldn't make sense to do it any other way. The trap in not always a 100% sure thing so, obviously, max thrust is the way to go.
I guess the training and experience these pilots have gives them the control to keep cool under such situations... but i bet he got a bit worried about their airspeed when they dropped off the deck... and the other crew members probably got skidmarks on their underwear... ;D
Anyway, i think it was great airmanship. :bow:

Weaver

He may not have hit the water, but I bet he left more than one of his nine lives in it though...  :blink:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

DogfighterZen