F35 in flight (air to air) video footage

Started by Rheged, July 02, 2016, 10:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Gondor

In the report they say the aircraft refuelled thirteen times over the ten hour flight which if calculated as a simple sum means they have an endurance of only forty five minutes  :-\

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on July 02, 2016, 10:38:51 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/36692552

BBC report......haven't listened, just watched parts of it.

You didn't much, it was the usual cynical media approach to such things.......

Apparently three F-35s came across, and only one of them was a -B, so maybe the others are one each of the -A and -C? my source says there should have been six of them, but plans were changed.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Looked like it could be a pair of B's plus one other. Some of the ground shots showed one of ours (a B) and a USMC bird (another B). I only saw air to air footage of the third bird. I guessing that would be a third B model to act as a spare ship for the show.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

The vid looked as if the F-35 was refuelling from the aircraft from which the vid was being made. So what type was the tanker then?

The only western type that does that would seem to be a USMC tanker C-130, are there any others?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

So 'three' aircraft into 13 refuels equals 4 times for each, but one must have refueled again. Where did they fly from though ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

sandiego89

Quote from: Gondor on July 02, 2016, 11:09:12 AM
In the report they say the aircraft refuelled thirteen times over the ten hour flight which if calculated as a simple sum means they have an endurance of only forty five minutes  :-\

Gondor

Not at all.  Fighters on long overwater flights are routinely topped off to ensure they can divert to a field if there is a problem, such as a basket/probe problem.  There are few divert options with the Northern route the planes took over Canada, Greenland etc, so you always want as full tanks as you can get, thus numerous top offs.  Always better to have as full a tank as possible over long stretches of ocean or ice.   A very common procedure for long range "drags" across the pond.  

The F-35Bs were accompanied by 2 USAF KC-10's and perhaps 2 USMC KC-130's.  This would provide numerous baskets and redundancy if there was a divert of one/all of the fighters. And perhaps would even allow for the flight to continue if one of the tankers had an issue.  Overkill perhaps, but I imagine there was much interest in making sure the planes made it to the UK air shows this summer.  

I understand it was a northern route non-stop from Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, South Carolina to the UK.  

All three are B models- one UK, two USMC.  

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on July 03, 2016, 09:36:56 AM

All three are B models- one UK, two USMC.  

-Dave

Jeepers, it's going to be LOUD at Fairford on Friday if all three do their VTOL bit at the same time!!  :o :o

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

....if the country can afford it lol great way to end the segment !

:-\
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?