Main Menu

SHAR and Apaches

Started by Weaver, June 17, 2016, 07:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Had an interesting day today helping a mate do a delivery. The delivery was to a VERY posh country estate, and it sounded like it was going to get interesting when the instructions over the intercom at the gate ended with "go round the back of the hangars and I'll meet you by the plane". Turned out the plane was an ornamental Sea Harrier FA.2! We didn't have time to have a close look at it and I wasn't inclined to ask nosey questions, but it looked to be very well kept, which is always heartening.

Then on the way back, a circling helicopter in the distance (just south of Birmingham), turned into two circling helicopters, which got my attention, then as we got closer they resolved into a pair of Longbow Apaches. They flew around in circles several times over what looked like an industrial area, then headed off west. No clue what it was about and I couldn't tell if they were AAC or US Army, but they definately had the MMW radar on the rotor mast. Seemed to have stores on the pylons too.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

rickshaw

Do you realise that you'll now have to be eliminated after revealing the secret plans of the One World Government?    :banghead: :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

An FA2 SHAR?  :o

And HMG would have us believe they sold them all to the USMC for spares or some other such twaddle.........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 18, 2016, 01:53:14 AM

And HMG would have us believe they sold them all to the USMC for spares or some other such twaddle.........

No it was the GR.7/9s that went to the USMC. Some of the SHARs were retained at Culdrose for ground training and the rest went to museums, gate-guardians and auction:

http://www.demobbed.org.uk/aircraft.php?type=963
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones '

kitnut617

Quote from: Weaver on June 18, 2016, 03:11:55 AM

No it was the GR.7/9s that went to the USMC. Some of the SHARs were retained at Culdrose for ground training and the rest went to museums, gate-guardians and auction:

Nice discovery Harold  :thumbsup:

They do tend to appear in the most unusual places, this one below is owned by someone in Red Deer Alberta, saw it at the 2013 Airdrie Airshow

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

I read a few comments on line this morning suggesting that the SHAR I saw is not only well-maintained but has been restored to theoretically flyable condition. However the owner isn't interested in climbing the mountain of permissions/certifications neccessary to acually go through with it, and who can blame him? Good to know that at least one is being preserved to a no-expense-spared standard though. :thumbsup:

- Indiana Jones '

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on June 18, 2016, 03:11:55 AM

Ah yes, so it was, thanks.  :thumbsup:

I was thinking that the one flying out in the US was the only one that had 'escaped' but it looks like quite a few did. Good thing too for 'The Last British Interceptor'.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Yes, great spotting Weaver ! What a surprise that would be. I had no idea there was one out in Red Deer.....cool !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?