The Good Ship Mesikammen

Started by tigercat, June 10, 2016, 12:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat

Coming soon pride of the Finnish Navy

tigercat

It will be based on the Ilmarinen class coastal defence ships crossed with an unbuilt Danish design from the 1930s

perttime

Just make sure to spell the name correctly in the final product. It is Mesikämmen (MESIKÄMMEN), with the two dots on the Ä.

Mesikämmen is a good name. It is an euphenism, or gentle name for the bear - which Finnish mythology saw as the king of the forest and also an embodiment of the forefathers. Literally, it means "mead-paw" or "honey-paw".

Thou shalt not idly utter the name of ...

tigercat

Thank you :) I learnt lots about Finnish culture of which I was unaware when doing my name selection

tigercat

tigercat

NARSES2

Where do you put these things once built ? Have you a secret door into another dimension ?  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Caveman

Doe she carry the 2 x-craft in the background?
secretprojects forum migrant

tigercat

No those are for my sister ship to the French  netlayer Gladiateur , Centurion . Netlayers have a nice clear deck . Perfect for storage of various kit including midget submarines .

Snowtrooper

Quote from: perttime on June 11, 2016, 01:39:16 AM
Mesikämmen is a good name. It is an euphenism, or gentle name for the bear - which Finnish mythology saw as the king of the forest and also an embodiment of the forefathers. Literally, it means "mead-paw" or "honey-paw".

There is actually a very practical reason too why Finns of old would have called the bear with such names as nalle, otso, kontio, kouvo, mesikämmen, metsänomena: when you suddenly see one and want to alert the others, it is dangerous to shout KARRRRHU! ("karhu" being the formal translation of "bear") because the bears have the tendency to interpret the hard R of Finnish language as growling and a sign of aggression, and are more likely to attack you then.

But religious taboos are easier to remember than scientific explanations, so that's why they went with "speak its true name and it shall appear" since ancient Finnish mysticism was all about the power of words and names, for example being able to recite the tale of the birth or creation of something gave power over it.

perttime

Quote from: Snowtrooper on June 12, 2016, 12:22:15 PM
Quote from: perttime on June 11, 2016, 01:39:16 AM

There is actually a very practical reason too why Finns of old would have called the bear with such names as nalle, otso, kontio, kouvo, mesikämmen, metsänomena: when you suddenly see one and want to alert the others, it is dangerous to shout KARRRRHU! ("karhu" being the formal translation of "bear") because the bears have the tendency to interpret the hard R of Finnish language as growling and a sign of aggression, and are more likely to attack you then.

But religious taboos are easier to remember than scientific explanations, so that's why they went with "speak its true name and it shall appear" since ancient Finnish mysticism was all about the power of words and names, for example being able to recite the tale of the birth or creation of something gave power over it.
Yes, but...
Even "karhu" was originally a descriptive euphenism, referring to the rough hair (adjective "karhea": rough). The oldest known name for bear is "oksi", which developed into diminutive forms like "ohto" and then "otso". Otso is now a fairly common name for a male person.

Captain Canada

Looking good ! It sure is big ! Must cost a fortune in styrene to build one ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

tigercat

About 15 pound for the sheet styrene and about the same again for angles and rods etc to keep the bits together.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Snowtrooper

Quote from: perttime on June 13, 2016, 12:13:35 AM
Yes, but...
I knew I shouldn't have trusted a nature documentary when linguistics are concerned ;D

The ship still looks nice ;)