DONE +++ Thai Navy Canadair SeaGuard (Maritime patrol Vickers Vanguard) @p.5

Started by Dizzyfugu, June 09, 2016, 01:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Another entry for the GB. I remembered a converted 1:144 Airfix Vickers Vanguard in RAF use posted on whatifmodelers.com some time ago, and I like(d) the idea - also because the Vanguard was/is a pretty aircraft and there were and are several re-designs of airliners for maritime patrol uses.

I found out that the aforementioned Vanguard was the result of a conversion set from S&M Models, but I will rather use personal modifications. Basis will be the Airfix kit, though, and it will not be an RAF aircraft...  ;) And, even though the name implies it, it will also NOT become an aircraft in Canadian colors.  ;D

PR19_Kit

I think JayBee did that MR Vanguard.

I liked it so much I saved the pic of it, but I can't find it now of course.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

If it is my Vickers Nimrod that you are thinking of :

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,25003.0/highlight,vickers+nimrod.html

This was built long before S&M models existed, and the conversion was totally home made.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: JayBee on June 09, 2016, 02:44:42 AM
If it is my Vickers Nimrod that you are thinking of :

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,25003.0/highlight,vickers+nimrod.html

This was built long before S&M models existed, and the conversion was totally home made.

Jim

Yes, that's the one! Love it!  :wub:

Captain Canada

Sounds good ! I love what Jim did to his, looks so sleek and modern.

:drink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

Good timing: the interim project Ta 338 is about to be finished, and the decals I have been waiting for arrived from overseas. I guess that the Vanguard might start to take solid state soon.

Dizzyfugu

Work started yesterday. Many windows will be faired over/closed, an obligatory MAD boom added and I'll do some (major) rhinoplasty, which will probably kill the sleek Vanguard lines, but the nose is the best place for a search radar radome.

JayBee

Just out of interest, the nose on mine is a straight copy of the RW Nimrod's.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

zenrat

Any reason why the MAD boom couldn't be mounted on the nose?
Doing so would make it look like a flying Narwhal...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

Quote from: zenrat on June 16, 2016, 02:33:00 AM
Any reason why the MAD boom couldn't be mounted on the nose?
Doing so would make it look like a flying Narwhal...

There are a lot of electronics and electrical equipment in the nose, radar for instance. That would make quite a bit of interference for the Magnetic Anomaly Detector.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: JayBee on June 16, 2016, 01:44:28 AM
Just out of interest, the nose on mine is a straight copy of the RW Nimrod's.

Jim

Mine will look ...different. ;) I actually love the Vanguard's elegant nose design, and I had to overcome some scruples to change it. But the aircraft sits relatively low on the ground, I do not want a dorsal hunchback radome - but the antenna has to go somewhere, so the nose is the best place.

Stay tuned. :ph34r:

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

KiwiZac

Great idea! This sounds like fun. I don't know much about the type but am keen to see how it goes.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Dizzyfugu

Progress is good, and confirms my aversion to build airliners, esp. when the moulds are from the last millenium. NOTHING fits together, at least without resistance if not open fight. Sink holes, poor fit, any seam needs body work. But the fuselage halves are closed now.
About 70% of the windows have been closed/covered, and I added flight deck - without interior, but it is to block further sight thorugh the windscreen. Wings ansd stabilizers have been glued together and now I am working on the thick trailing edges and the propeller installation (with metal axis').
Furthermore, rhinoplasty is ongoing; I think I am building the ugliest Vanguard that anyone conceived yet... The MAD boom has also been added preliminarily, scratched from the very thick sprues of the Airfix Vanguard kit.