Some pictures of printed Shapeways products

Started by proditor, June 08, 2016, 01:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

proditor

Hi all,

I got asked if you can get decent resolution on printed things at very small scale, and the answer is of course, maybe.  ;)

I'm attaching some pictures of things I got from Shapeways. They are all 1/700 scale. For those of you wondering about the odd white coloration, it's a result of continued curing. The material I choose for 1/700 scale is called Frosted Ultra Detail (FUD) and it cures in sunlight. I have a sunlight lamp in my workroom for painting, and the result is that it helps finish the curing process, but also make it look, well, frosted. The Quinjet has only been on my table for like a day, so no frosty bits yet. Any other questions, just let me know.

An Avengers Quinjet

A P-6M Seamaster.

Lockheed Salmon

Convair Pogo

F2Y Sea Dart

PR19_Kit

Do you have to sand off the frosted bits before you paint it?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

proditor

I'd be lying if I said I knew.  :)

I'm going to just to be safe, as one of the side effects of the print, even at this high resolution and with this material, is a slight gritty feel to the flat surfaces. So a few seconds with the sand paper probably wouldn't go amiss.

sandiego89

Thank you for posting- we have the same taste in aircraft  :thumbsup: I am a big fan of the SeaMaster, Sea Dart and Pogo. 

These look pretty good, and for many less well known subjects may be the only option- especially as White Ensign seems to have gotten rid of much of their 1/700 scale subjects when they came back on line.

Thanks again for sharing! -Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Captain Canada

Wow. Those look great ! Who`s the guy who makes them on Shapeways ? I was just looking at making my first order there.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Thanks for that. I'd not seen them before and I'm staggered. Amazing what can be done nowadays. I can remember 1/300 white metal wargamming stuff but this is better detail and half the size (or so)  :blink:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Seems we have quite a few folks interested in these products- hope more photos can be posted as more get bought.  :thumbsup:  Maybe placed next to other objects that we can recognize, or quality 1/700 aircraft.   I'm very interested and may take the plunge.  I love the Pit Road 1/700 injection sets, like the West Wings sets, but they are hard to find and get quite pricy as you only get 2-4 of the airplane you want- tough if you want a squadron or so to fit your carrier deck or diorama.     
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Gondor

I have several sets in 1/600 on order. I will take pictures when they arrive for people here.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

proditor

Sorry, I totally should have posted links.

The bottom 4 are from Kokoda Trail: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/frenobulax

I haven't ordered form this guy, but I hear good things: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/snafu

The Quinjet is from here: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/speed And it is staggeringly gorgeous.

And the Veritechs are from here: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/unicornfairyshop

Zombolt

Wonder if anyone will do a 3d assemble-able kit, in a airplane scale

Captain Canada

Excellent, thanks ! I'm finding my way around the site and that sure helps. So much to choose from eh ?

:wub: :cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

proditor

Oh, if you look here: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,39870.msg668609.html#msg668609

The sails for all of those subs are from Kokoda Trail. He made them as a special order for me so I could make a model of each boat my Father-in-law served on for Christmas. It was a seriously nice thing of him to do, and he did it quickly so I could have the kits together and under the tree.

NARSES2

Thanks for that.

Quote from: proditor on June 10, 2016, 05:57:56 PM

The sails for all of those subs are from Kokoda Trail. He made them as a special order for me so I could make a model of each boat my Father-in-law served on for Christmas. It was a seriously nice thing of him to do, and he did it quickly so I could have the kits together and under the tree.

Nice thing for the pair of you to do  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

proditor

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 11, 2016, 05:39:39 AM
Thanks for that.

Quote from: proditor on June 10, 2016, 05:57:56 PM

Nice thing for the pair of you to do  :thumbsup:

Thanks! I admittedly have an amazingly awesome father-in-law. He's an electrician on the John Brown here in Baltimore, and he's taking me for a special birthday tour of the ship. And I did totally make him a John Brown as well, but I overdid the waves. I sorta didn't realize the ship makes 8 knots and not much more.

proditor

New info: Cleaning.

Shapeways stuff sometimes comes a bit tacky to the touch as a result of the release agent they use. I've heard about a few ways to clean this, and I tried one last night, so away we go.

Simplest method: Warm water, dish soap, and an old toothbrush. This is what I use for my resin bits and bobs, and it did the trick nicely for the Shapeways parts. Cleaned them up nicely, and actually removed that slight bit of fuzziness you can see in the photos. The discoloration due to UV light is there, but they are nice and smooth now, and it feels like plastic to the touch. I cleaned up a part for an upcoming build, and then went on to CA glue some styrene bits on it with no issue whatsoever. Worked like a champ.

But sometimes, you need a bit more, and the recommendation at this point is an ultrasonic cleaner. Most of the solvents and cleaners you might use can damage the material of the layered plastic, so stick to gentle solutions. People have reported a ton of success with the Ultrasonic cleaners, but I didn't even need to go past dish soap.

My preferred brand: Dawn. If they use this to get oil off of wildlife, I figure it's a winner for mold release agent.