Der Halberstadt Wampyre

Started by zenrat, May 29, 2016, 12:40:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Der Halberstadt Wampyre

Wampyre 12 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Little is known about Der Halberstadt Wampyre.  It was found in a hanger on a small airfield close to Halberstadt following the reunification of East and West Germany.
Wampyre 2 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
What at first appears to be a De Havilland Vampire is on closer inspection a precise replica re-engineered to use standard Soviet specification materials and fasteners and powered by a Klimov RD-45.
Wampyre 8 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
It is thought to have been built as proof of concept for a proposal to build unlicensed "Sovietised" copies of the Vampire (in the same way the B29 begat the Tu 4).  It is not known whether an original was copied or if plans were used although it has been speculated that a full set of Vampire drawings were provided to the Soviet Union along with those for the Rolls Royce Nene.
Wampyre 11 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The model:
Heller Vampire FB5 with rockets from an old mould Airfix Beaufighter.  Painted (in an East German scheme adapted from a Mig 29) with Vallejo acrylics and with decals from my big decal folder (probably Dragon or Eduard MiG 15).  Getting enough weight into the nose was an issue – I should have also put some on the back of the cockpit bulkhead or into the leading edges of the wings.  In order to prevent tail sitting I had to fill the nose wheel bay with lead.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

That is one spectacular piece of modelling, comrade zenrat! :bow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rheged

Comrade Zenrat, following this grievous breach of security, the Rodina has even now despatched operatives from certain organs of state security to take action. Beware of persons carrying hammers and sickles!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

DogfighterZen

Although i'm not a big fan of the Vampire, that little thing looks great with that camo, very nice work! :thumbsup:

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Tophe

A what-if twin-boom model is always a pleasure, thanks! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Snowtrooper

That camo breaks the Vamp's outline really well, as if it was made for her! :thumbsup:

Captain Canada

Great job. Love the colours and camo pattern.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

comrade harps

It reminds me of some kind of poisonous frog!  :bow:
Whatever.

zenrat

Thanks comrades.
Particularly Comrade Harps who had me ROTFL with this
Quote from: comrade harps on May 29, 2016, 10:13:10 PM
It reminds me of some kind of poisonous frog!  :bow:

IMO the single seat Vampire is a classic piece of design.  The only thing I might change is the shape of the tail fins (and I have another Heller kit in the stash).  The two seater on the other hand looks out of proportion with that big fat nose.  Shame Airfix didn't make their new mould of a solo bird.
The camo was adapted from this.

http://www.ehattons.com/20497/Corgi_Collectables_AA37501_MiG_29_Fulcrum_A_East_German_Air_Force_JG3_Vladimir_Komarow_Preschen_Air_Base_1/StockDetail.aspx
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..