Jet powered paddle steamer

Started by JayBee, May 27, 2016, 07:48:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

O.K. not a WhIf but just as weird.
The PS Lucy Ashton was a Clyde built paddle Steamer that ended up being jet powered.
I only found out about her two days ago when visiting the the Scottish Maritime Museum at Irvine with my Australian brother in law, he is a mad keen sailor.
Ex Royal Australian Army sailing team and has done the Sidney-Hobart five times now.

But back to this strange ship.

http://www.aqpl43.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/lucyasht/lucyasht.htm

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Hehehe, a cracking idea!  :thumbsup:

I like the bit about '.....as reverse thrust hadn't been invented there was no way to go backwards...........'  ;D ;) :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

That is a wonderful discovery!   It's amazing what jets have been mounted on/in. Not just aircraft but ships and even trains.....LNER experimented in 1947 with a jet engine mounted on a wagon to clear the line but found it also blew the ballast away breaking windows in signal boxes and railway huts as well as destroying fences.

http://www.lner.info/forums/download/file.php?id=907&sid=a85e26fc187382e44ca2a250ff5c1292

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Weaver

Heh - since there are no water propellors in Kerbal Space Program, all boats have to be jet-propelled like that. I just posted it to Twitter to see what the Kerbal crowd have to say.... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Steel Penguin

well its an idea, and the reasoning behind it, is spotless,  so  :thumbsup:  from me.
though the caustic soda powered steam engines on one of the other  pages are an idea that's frankly terrifying  :blink:   
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

ericr

it makes me think of the 40s german Tornado boat (Ju52 floats with a V1 jet engine)

zenrat

Quote from: Steel Penguin on May 27, 2016, 02:03:47 PM
well its an idea, and the reasoning behind it, is spotless,  so  :thumbsup:  from me.
though the caustic soda powered steam engines on one of the other  pages are an idea that's frankly terrifying  :blink:   

Personally i'd be more scared of travelling with a Boiling Petrol engine.   :o
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kerick

The jet engine ex paddle wheeler has steam punk written all over it!
Who in their right mind thought boiling gasoline/petrol/naptha was a good idea! And I don't mean just the inventor.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

jcf

Nothing steampunk about an old hulk pushed along by 1950's aircraft turbines, a steampunk 'jet' powered vessel would use a
gas turbine to turn the paddles. It would be an extraordinarily inefficient, wasteful and pointless way to use a gas turbine, but no
doubt it would be wonderful to the steampunk types who seem to think that Victorian and Edwardian machines were some sort of
semi-mystical primitive technology made of brass rather than the highly developed machines made of iron and steel that they
actually were, well that and believing Tesla was some sort of God.  :blink:

Read one Steampunk novel, threw it across the room when the authour had a brass-framed machine 'throwing sparks off the glazed tiles lining
the Underground Tube' in an 1870s setting. Brass aint' gonna throw sparks under any circumstances and certainly not off of smooth glazed tiles,
and in that period the nascent London Underground was referred to as a subway, the colloquiailism of 'the Underground' and 'the Tube' came
much later. Check out period issues of The Engineer if you don't believe me.

The truth is that the naptha engines had a lower rate of incidents/accidents/explosions than the typical steam launch of the period.
The main reason they were attractive to the average owner is that they didn't have the licensing requirement$ of a $team
powered vessel, licensing requiremenst that came about because of numerous gruesome events. Like their steam and electric
powered contemporaries they were put to pasture by the more effcient internal combustion engine.
Speedboat by D.W. Fostle, Mystic Seaport Museum Store 1988, has an excellent chapter on naptha launches.

Weaver

But brass is prettier....  :wacko:

Actually you beat me to it Jon: dieselpunk at a push. Maybe.

How much slack you can cut steampunk depends on the sub-genre as far as I'm concerned. If it's proffered as a scientific extrapolation of Victorian technology, then by all means subject it to the same level of scrutiny and criticism as The Martian. On the other hand, if (as some 'steampunk' does) it also features magic, dragons, ray guns and glamorous Martian princesses then you're essentially dealing with fantasy-in-brass-goggles and applying rigorous scientific critique to it is pointless.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Fascinating find and some of the other linked stuff is just  :blink: :blink: :banghead:

As for Steampunk ? I can admire and enjoy the illustrations and have some of the Osprey wargaming books but that's about as far as it goes. Mind you I've always liked my Sc Fi on the simple side. I can re-read E.E. Doc Smiths Skylark and Lensman series again and again
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 28, 2016, 05:46:29 AM
Fascinating find and some of the other linked stuff is just  :blink: :blink: :banghead:

As for Steampunk ? I can admire and enjoy the illustrations and have some of the Osprey wargaming books but that's about as far as it goes. Mind you I've always liked my Sc Fi on the simple side. I can re-read E.E. Doc Smiths Skylark and Lensman series again and again

Oh I agree about the E.E. Smith books. A good old fashioned tail from when life and fiction were far simpler. Definitely never mind the details, just enjoy the adventure.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

JayBee

One of the various links that I found had an eye-witness acount from a lady who remembers the PS Lucy Ashton "roaring up and down the Gare Loch".
For those who do not know, the Gare Loch is where Faslane is, and it is not that huge a piece of water.
So I rather expect that our jet powered ship would have been realy, REALY, noisy.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

loupgarou

Quote from: zenrat on May 27, 2016, 06:39:02 PM
Quote from: Steel Penguin on May 27, 2016, 02:03:47 PM

Personally i'd be more scared of travelling with a Boiling Petrol engine.   :o

I'd be more in favour of the Carbon Disulphide or Ether & Chloroform Engines:
" Diethyl ether oxidises and polymerises in the presence of air, creating the interesting compound diethyl ether peroxide (-CH(CH3)OO-)n. This is a colorless oily liquid that is an extremely brisant (fast-exploding) and friction-sensitive explosive; less than 5 milligrams can damage chemical apparatus."  ;D ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Captain Canada

Never heard of that jet powered boat, but that is pretty wild !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?