Latest SAM magazine

Started by PR19_Kit, May 27, 2016, 04:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

I give up, after doing no less than even searches on here to find a suitable place for this I can't find even one!  :banghead:

In the latest SAM mag they have a conversion of the Tu-91 'Boot' married to a Tu-4 that's been mentioned here before. As it's been done by Ken Duffey you can be sure it's as good as it's likely to get, but it sure does look weird!  :o

[Tu-41 changed to Tu-91]
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

I have seen that on Brit Modeller, don't recall it being finished as far as the postings were concerned but your right, very odd looking combination.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitnut617

Is that meant to be Tu-91 'Boot' Kit ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 27, 2016, 05:08:31 AM
Is that meant to be Tu-91 'Boot' Kit ?

Yeah, probably, but after seven fruitless searches I was losing the will to live!  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Yes it is the Tu-91 "Boot".
Put Tu-91, Images into your search engine and you will find a couple of photos of this engine test-bed variant.
Yep it is weird.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

NARSES2

Yup it's an amazing build and the Tu 91 is an interesting aircraft. Never knew it was originally proposed as a naval strike aircraft, forthcoming GB anyone ? Then to hear it was looking promising as a strike aircraft but was discontinued simply because Kruschev apparently ridiculed it was  :blink:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

I got the July addition in the mail this a.m. and there are 4 pages in the first of what will be occasional articles on ship building ! It's very good and interesting. Ships in SAM whatever next, wifs ????   :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I bought the latest edition of SAM, dated Jan. 2017 after Chris' mention of the Strombecker wooden kits article, which is very interesting, but something else caught my eye too.

In all the reviews and announcements of kits, books, decals and accessories there isn't one SINGLE price mentioned in the whole magazine!!!

How is the modeller supposed to make a value judgement if he/she wants a particular item without knowing how much it costs? The only prices are in the trader's adverts, and large though the Big H's coverage is, they don't sell everything in the modelling world.

To make matters worse I can't even complain to the magazine about it as there are no email addresses posted anywhere and they haven't had a letters column for years!

I'm quite looking forward to confronting the magazine staff at the MK Show this year......  ;)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

I think he showed that at SMW.

NARSES2

The problem is Kit what price do they show ? Sterling, Euros, Dollars ? Different retailers will have the same kits/transfers/add ons at different prices. You can't have a manufactureres recommended retail price because I don't think that's allowed any more ? Maybe wrong. If you quote a price and a punter can't get it at that price then he gets upset.

The magazine sells all over the world so it's probably best to avoid price in the editorial content and leave it to the retailers adverts.

Gary's email address, plus the other contact addresses are on page 85 in the blue column. I've had a fair bit of email contact with him and he does reply unlike some other editors I could name  :angry:

PR19_Kit

But Airfix Mag manages to do it.

Page 85? I'll have a look, thanks. It's hardly in a memorable place though, is it?

Regards
Kit

McColm

I'm thinking a B-29 with a Gannet instead, close but no cigar!

NARSES2

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 25, 2017, 06:15:52 AM
You can't have a manufacturer's recommended retail price because I don't think that's allowed any more ? Maybe wrong.

Wrong ! Yes you can it's the old Manufacturer's Minimum Price that was banned back in the 60's.

Mea Culpa  :banghead:

Chris

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 25, 2017, 06:55:05 AM
But Airfix Mag manages to do it.

I've never really noticed this before, and in all honesty it doesn't bother me one way or the other but it did pique my interest  :angel:

So I had a look at the other magazines.

S.A.M.I.  : Some of the kit reviews have a price in Sterling and the full listing of new kit releases quotes a price but they don't have prices for accessories.

M.A.I. : Again some reviews have prices in Sterling, some with the annotation "around" before the price.  <_<

Airfix : Now this is the interesting one. As far as I can see everything is priced, kits, transfers, accessories and books. However some are in Sterling, some in Euros and yet others in Dollars. Now at first I thought ok, UK manufacture in Sterling ; Europe in Euros and R.O.W. in Dollars, but no it's not as simple as that. Hasegawa, Italeri, Zveda and some others are in Sterling (I think I know why) whilst some Far Eastern kits are in Euros with others in Dollars.

Now how many people fail to spot the Euro or Dollar symbol ? Not really a problem whilst Sterling is better than 1 to both, but what is this price based on ? Factory gate price ? Extremely unlikely. Home market price ? Possibly, that or major expected market price although that is a dangerous game  to play. Probably just a global export price.

Anyhow this little inconsequential, in the overall scheme of things, issue has, as I said piqued my interest, so next time I'm Up North and away from the bench for a while I may do some research and try and get some more definitive answers if only for myself  ;D