Fabric ailerons, why ?

Started by NARSES2, May 05, 2016, 07:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

When aircraft had metal wings why did a lot still have fabric ailerons ? No idea why this thought came to me in the coffee shop this morning  :blink:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

They were lightweight and they were cheap, Chris.  As speeds increased, they were replaced with metal facings, 'cause the air was forced through the weave of the fabric and they become less effective.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

jcf

Not just ailerons, elevators and rudders as well, as Brian said lightweight and cheap to manufacture, and,
perhaps more importantly, quick and easy to repair and balance.

NARSES2

Cheers lads  :thumbsup: Simple as that
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Logan Hartke

In addition to what rickshaw and jcf said, early aviation manufacturers also sometimes had vibration issues with the moving control surfaces when they made them out of metal. Given their small size and the fact that they weren't structural, strength wasn't a major concern, so metal wasn't necessary.

Cheers,

Logan

PR19_Kit

Expanding on Logan's vibration explanation, I've read somewhere that early metal control surfaces had natural frequencies around the same as other airframe induced frequencies. Making them of fabric etc. made them weigh less and changed their natural frequency.

There was a US fighter in the 30s that had this problem and the change to fabric sorted it.

What I don't understand is why they found it possible to go to all-metal control surfaces without any issues later in the war.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

I've read somewhere, that as aircraft started to fly faster than 400 mph, and what was called 'compressibility' was encountered, it distorted the cloth. IIRC, the cloth actually bulged outward causing all sorts of airflow problems. Going to metal solved some of the problem but then as the speeds started to approach 500 mph, other problems arose
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 05, 2016, 08:48:46 AM
What I don't understand is why they found it possible to go to all-metal control surfaces without any issues later in the war.

All-metal surfaces still had issues, it was just that with the option of fabric not available, they had no choice but to tackle them, rather than avoiding them. The A-4 Skyhawk's single-surface rudder was a quick'n'dirty solution to a problem with skin 'buzz' on the original conventional item. They just never got around to fixing it... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

There was a US fighter in the 30s that had this problem and the change to fabric sorted it.

Are you perhaps thinking of the Curtiss BF2C-1? The problem with that was the metal structure
of the new NACA 2212 airfoil wings had a resonance issue, the Hawk III export version retained
the original Hawk type wood structure and Clark Y airfoil and didn't have the problem.
Both types of wing were fabric covered.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on May 05, 2016, 10:36:44 PM

Are you perhaps thinking of the Curtiss BF2C-1? The problem with that was the metal structure
of the new NACA 2212 airfoil wings had a resonance issue, the Hawk III export version retained
the original Hawk type wood structure and Clark Y airfoil and didn't have the problem.
Both types of wing were fabric covered.

Yes, JCF, that's the one, thanks.  :thumbsup:

The resonance thing stuck in my mind as it's one of the fields I worked in.

I can't tell those 30s period US bi-planes from one another, there being so many of them.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 06, 2016, 01:11:59 AM

I can't tell those 30s period US bi-planes from one another, there being so many of them.  ;D

Funny that until Grumman became involved with the USN, the fighters were all variations on a theme by Boeing and Curtiss.  ;D

Army Hawk family tree, Navy Hawk tree very similar and the same type of chart could be done for the Boeing aircraft:

NARSES2

Love that type of family tree  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What always hits me when I look at my various books on US fighters and bombers is how small some of the production runs were back then. I suppose hand building lends it'self to small numbers ?

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2