RAM F6F-3

Started by Old Wombat, May 03, 2016, 09:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Started this a bout a week ago. Going to be pretty much an OoB build with a colour scheme inspired by PantherG (below).

No pic's yet & I'm only in slow-build mode (as I'm trying to finish off my armour projects, too), plus I may buy a couple of detail pieces to lift the end product a bit.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Captain Canada

That's going to be sweet !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DogfighterZen

Yes, sir! That scheme looks really good! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Old Wombat

Thanks, guys! :thumbsup:

To fill in a bit of time:

I forgot to mention it's HobbyBoss 1/48 scale. I've just ordered the detail bits & paints from BNA Models, so they should be here early next week (I hope).

Spent ages cleaning this the other day because it felt oily & I could even see oil/release agent on it, scrubbed it like crazy. Forgot to wipe it down with metho, though, & the Tamiya white primer I sprayed on everything yesterday ..... Well, let's just say I'm not f@%&*^g happy. Looks like I'll be carefully sanding & re-scribing panel lines & fastener holes for the next few days.

Few interesting errors with the kit that I've found, so far;
- oily, lots of oil (release agent?), enough to actually damage the surface of the kit in some places (luckily nowhere I couldn't fix it easily);
- no gun barrels for the .50's (in the BNA Models order);
- no cowl flaps over the lower exhaust pipes (not even lines marking them), which I'm fixing at the moment;
- chin vent is closed off, it should open onto the lower cylinders (fixed);
- fit is good but not great, so I see some careful, minor PSR work in my future; &
- a few ejector pin markings in easily seen places (like high up in the cockpit), most of which I've fixed.

All that said, though, it's actually quite a nice kit, so far, with, I think, a better than average fit & good detail.

Cheers! :cheers:

NARSES2

I've discovered a lot of what I consider excess oil/release agent on a few kits latter and it's proved a it of a  :banghead: to remove at times
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

This is on hold until the beginning of next month, when it will resume as (one of?) my entry(ies) in the In the Navy GB.