Lockheed-Douglas A-19 Starhawk

Started by Ed S, April 28, 2016, 08:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed S

Here's what I'm starting with. A Kangnam A-4E/F, which is a copy of the old 70's Hasegawa A-4E/F. 

So let the plastic abuse begin.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Ed S

Haven't had a chance to update the last few days. Here is what's done so far.  You can see the basic assembly has been completed. The A-19 was developed from the original Douglas A-4 Skyhawk. To improve it's capability into the 21st century, one of the major improvements was the fitting of the more powerful F404 engine with afterburner.  This required new larger intakes and enlarged aft fuselage to fit the larger engine and the increased airflow. The wings are also moved aft from the original. This allows fitting of canards on the forward fuselage.

PSR starts tomorrow.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Dizzyfugu

Interesting. Looking forward to the progress, esp. with the canards and the landing gear position...

Mossie

Can't go wrong with an upgraded Skyhawk.  Looks good so far Ed.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Ed's at his best doing USN stuff, this should be one terrific model.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ed S

Putty has been applied. Not as much as I originally thought I would need. Mostly Milliput and Blue Acryl.  Now waiting for drying/curing.

Ed

DogfighterZen

That scoot looks very good! Can't wait to see that with canards! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

PR19_Kit

Amazing how just moving the wing back changes the whole look of the A-4.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jsport

looks sounds like it is going to be awesome.

Ed S

Today's update. NOT GOOD. The epoxy putty I used to reshape the fuselage didn't cure. It was an old box I've had for a while. So I had to scrape it off, clean the mess, and start over. I opened a new pack of A+B apoxie sculpt and applied that this evening. I think I can still get it done, but I have no room for any other setbacks.

jsport

kerick

Ah, your model fu is very strong! You will overcome this problem!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Ed S

Last night and this morning were productive.  Here's what it looks like now.  A few small surface imperfections to clean up, mask and attach the canopy, and it can get painted.

Ed