Carpet Monster........in 1/1 scale!

Started by seadude, April 14, 2016, 02:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

Not sure where to post this topic, so I'll leave it in this forum for now.
Right now, I'm working on a small display of 1/700 scale US Navy ships for 2 upcoming model contests. But after that, I plan to get started on building my next big and crazy project: The Carpet Monster.  :blink:  ;D   Yes, that evil textile creature that gobbles up loose model parts that fall to the floor never to be seen again.  :wacko:
I've already started buying some supplies, but I don't have the carpet yet. I'm thinking of a piece about 3 ft. x 3 ft. square or thereabouts. But I haven't decided on the following yet:
1. Plain colored carpet or something decorative with a design on it?
2. Light colored or dark colored carpeting?
3. Just have the carpet monster with eyes and mouth only, or add other facial features and stuff like horns, hands with claws, etc.?
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

rickshaw

Subtle is what I'd recommend.  Whatever carpet with a slight hump for eyes and a mouth.  ;D ;D
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

RAFF-35

I've always imagined it to look similar to a wobbegong shark, in terms of its camouflage technique and profile  :lol:
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

seadude

Quote from: rickshaw on April 14, 2016, 05:11:40 PM
Subtle is what I'd recommend.  Whatever carpet with a slight hump for eyes and a mouth.  ;D ;D

Yeah, I've thought about that. But on the flip side, if the CM is too subtle, people may not find it interesting or scary enough.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

zenrat

Maybe it's like the big pit thing in Return of the Jedi that they try to feed Luke and Han to?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

seadude

Quote from: zenrat on April 17, 2016, 01:56:30 AM
Maybe it's like the big pit thing in Return of the Jedi that they try to feed Luke and Han to?

Or little tiny 1/700 and 1/350 crew figures.  ;D  :wacko:  ;D

Dizzyfugu

Classic (A)D&D knows the "Trapper"... Beware! I'd assume that the modeler's nemesis, the Carpet Monster, is in fact a close relative, and if it grows to serious proportions,...  :rolleyes:

philp

I went with a smaller chunk of carpet and mounted on a plaque.  Carpet Monster Trophy.

Actually did two of them, one that has been eating military kit pieces and the other one just sci-fi.

I have entered them in the Humor category at several shows but they never seem to place.  Not sure why, no seams, no silvered decals, no fingerprints in the paint, etc.  Of course there is nothing actually assembled.

I do put a little quiz with them asking people to identify the 5 kit parts they can find.  There are only 4 parts but the fifth answer is "I can't find another one either but you know it is in there."

Looking forward to your take on this.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

loupgarou

Nice idea! There are really kit parts "in the monsters"?
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

seadude

@philp:  I'm not sure if what I want to do will place either at a future contest. But at 1/1 true to life scale, I want to do and show something bigger and crazier.  ;D

seadude

So I just picked up a rug today at a retail store to use. It's about 30 inches x 46 inches, and is a light/medium grey color. Deep pile shag too! All the better to hide those tiny little parts!  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:
Question: I was thinking of using those craft type taxidermy eyes, maybe 30mm in diameter. But I'm not sure what color eyes would look best against a grey colored rug. Any suggestions?

loupgarou

Quote from: seadude on April 25, 2016, 12:11:05 PM
So I just picked up a rug today at a retail store to use. It's about 30 inches x 46 inches, and is a light/medium grey color. Deep pile shag too! All the better to hide those tiny little parts!  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:
Question: I was thinking of using those craft type taxidermy eyes, maybe 30mm in diameter. But I'm not sure what color eyes would look best against a grey colored rug. Any suggestions?

Don't monsters have red eyes usually?  ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Quote from: loupgarou on April 25, 2016, 11:55:07 PM
Quote from: seadude on April 25, 2016, 12:11:05 PM

Don't monsters have red eyes usually?  ;D

Beat me to it  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

seadude

Ok, so here's a rough concept of what my 1/1 scale CM idea will be like.
1. Gray carpet is 3 ft. x 4 ft., deep pile shag.
2. Bought 48 inch long wood dowel poles (Inside the orange safety cones) , but may have to use 36 inch long as the 48 inch is too high. Will probably paint the wood dowels bright orange same color as the cones.
3. Attach a few warning signs to rope barrier.
4. Too much slack in rope barrier. Need to fix that. :P
5. The center of the carpet will have a "hump" so to speak where I will create a mouth (with teeth) and also add eyes.
6. The "hump" under the carpet is actually a clear acrylic squirrel baffle usually found/used on bird feeder poles. It's about 16-18 inches in diameter.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

NARSES2

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: So far. I don't think the ropes need that more tension. It's the eyes and teeth and perhaps part of an old kit, maybe half a fusalage, in its mouth ? As though its in the process of eating it ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.