Kiwi Sherman in 1/76 - ah, Airfix!

Started by KiwiZac, April 10, 2016, 02:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiZac

Hi all,
My second (and second-to-last, probably) 1/76 armour build is finished! I bought the Airfix 1/76 M4A2 Sherman with the intention of cross-kitting it with the Italeri 1/72 one with an engine, but got impatient and decided to do it OOB.

I made some minor additions: a white metal MG for the commander's hatch, boxes for stowage on the front and on the turret bustle, a rolled up bit of whatever, some bits on the back and a stretched sprue whip antenna. Done with kit decals as a representative Kiwi Sherman from the Italian campaign.

My final planned 1/76 build is Airfix's Bren Gun Carrier done as a true whif - my 6pdr-equipped one from the game World of Tanks named "Bullpup"! She's a sweet little tank destroyer that's a joy to fight in. No idea when that will be as I haven't heard back from the shop as to when it's actually coming.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

zenrat

That's nice.  Apart from the vinyl tracks which aren't your fault as that's what they gave you.
Is that black or very dark green in the camo?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

Great job on that one Zac ! Love the camo and colour choice. The wee additions really bring her to life as well. Every time I see a Sherman I want to build one.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Done well with that Zac  :thumbsup:

Always liked the Airfix Bren Carrier. Built a fair few when they came out an eon or so ago. Did an 8th Army tank destroyer myself but it just had a 2pdr, similar to the 37mm ones the German's actually had.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

KiwiZac

Thanks folks! It was a fun little build. I think this scale may be better for a Firefly, so keep your eyes peeled.

zenrat - Tamiya Nato Black. I've discovered Mike Starmer's British armour paint mixes, and for this (and my earlier 1/100 Sherman) I used his Light Mud mix as the main colour and straight Nato Black as the disruptive camo as he recommends.

Thanks Captain! I forgot to mention the three bits of applique armour are my add-ons too, it doesn't come with them. As someone who's just discovered armour models it's amazing just how much variety there is in terms of camo, markings and extra bits. There's much more to tanks than I thought.

Narses - I've seen pics of the 2pdr one, I think that was the basis for the one in the game. You can upgrade your vehicles as you earn "experience", and the ultimate evolution of the Carrier has the 6pdr as well as more powerful engine etc. It's a dynamite little thing!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Martin H

Quote from: KiwiZac on April 11, 2016, 01:28:33 PM
zenrat - Tamiya Nato Black. I've discovered Mike Starmer's British armour paint mixes, and for this (and my earlier 1/100 Sherman) I used his Light Mud mix as the main colour and straight Nato Black as the disruptive camo as he recommends.

Mike knows his stuff. One hell of a researcher on uk and Commonwealth armour.  I've met him a few times, including in his own home. He was helping my dad out with one of his pet projects, namely the UK's 79th armoured division. Mike lives about ten miles from me. He doesn't do whiffs himself but he does appreciate what we get up to. He challenged me to build a coastal command Sterling. Ive still to get around to it.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.