Savoia Marchetti SM81

Started by zenrat, April 07, 2016, 03:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

As a valued customer of Zenrat Industries we are pleased to inform you of the expansion of our fleet.

Barbara is a Savoia Marchetti SM81 and is available now for those little jobs where you need to move something but want to avoid all that boring paperwork and those time wasting customs inspections.

Within her capacious cargo hold she has a number of discreet stowage compartments that not even the most beady eyed snoop will find and should there be resistance to your legitimate trading activities the dorsal and rear side hatches have mountings for purely defensive weaponry (guns and ammunition available at extra cost*)

Should you feel Barbara can meet your needs then don't hesitate to call us at Stately Zen Mansions on the dank Northern Slopes of Mount Martha.  Even if she's not the one for you then ring anyway as we are always expanding our fleet and are sure to be able to help you out with anything from a single engined courier to a long range airlifter.

*Subject to local laws regarding fully automatic weapons.  Ammunition can be purchased outright or paid for on a per round used basis.  Damage insurance is compulsory if weapons fitted.

The model.
Recent repop of the 1/72 Supermodel SM81.  Boxed as Supermodel and not Italeri like some of the repops are.
It's a dated kit with some horrendous fit issues (wings mainly) and no interior detail other than in the cockpit.  But then it has some nice touches like having all the doors and side hatches separate, some nice engraved detail in places under the wings (the rest is raised and I lost most of that around the roots sanding the 3lbs of filler I put in the wing joint gaps) and engines which although being moulded as one piece items (with separate exhausts) look great painted silver with a lick of wash.
The undercarriage however is a pig to build due to it being multi part requiring much adjusting and propping with blu-tac to get them at the right angle.
I deleted the ventral and dorsal turrets panelling over the underside and leaving the upper opening as a hatch.  I added some sidewall detail inside the cargo area and scratchbuilt a ribbed floor and internal steps up to the cockpit area. I also built a platform for an "observer" to stand on when using the dorsal hatch.
Paint is Vallejo acrylic.  Decals are home made.
I named her Barbara because the SM81 was named Pipistrello which means "bat".
Bat Girl's true identity was Barbara Gordon (played by Yvonne Craig in the only Batman that counts).

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Draken35

Librarian

Beautiful :wub:...any chance of a picture with Barbara next to the Caproni?

I thought she was a contra-prop for a second in that first photo ;D.

zenrat

Thanks folks.

Max - yes.  I had meant to do just that.  I'll get to it but don't hold your breath as i've got a busy weekend coming up.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

dumaniac

Tophe

I thought that the name "Zenrat Industries" was a joke BUT it is written! (and this is well known "what is written is true!")... ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Dork the kit slayer

Quote from: Tophe on April 07, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
I thought that the name "Zenrat Industries" was a joke BUT it is written! (and this is well known "what is written is true!")... ;)

It must be right its in colour.   Good one Zenrat :thumbsup:
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

Dizzyfugu

That's pretty - the colors are great!  :wub:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

KiwiZac

Oh that's just gorgeous! I love the Barbara Gordon reference too, delightfully obscure!!

I think my favourite part is Cousin Marco poking out of the top hatch.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Glenn Gilbertson

zenrat

Thanks folks.

Quote from: KiwiZac on April 07, 2016, 02:45:34 PM
Oh that's just gorgeous! I love the Barbara Gordon reference too, delightfully obscure!!

I think my favourite part is Cousin Marco poking out of the top hatch.

That's actually Lenny.  He's a member of the PDRV Sestapo (Secret State Police).

Remember the Batgirl Cycle?  An early Honda Twin (CB72?) with a purple metal flake fairing edged with a fringe.

Quote from: Tophe on April 07, 2016, 06:11:42 AM

As a former Railtrack WCRM System Review Panel secretary I prefer to think of it the other way - It might be true but if I didn't write it down then it never happened.   ;)

Zenrat Industries is to the Sestapo what Air America was to the CIA and this influenced my choice of font...

Fred

king of men

Now the big question is, what exactly does Zenrat Industries produce:unsure:
All hail 1:72!
Visit the blog at http://72land.blogspot.com/
Visit 72 Scale Aircraft forum at http://z15.invisionfree.com/72nd_Aircraft/index.php

Weaver

That's a lovely job. The colour scheme, which is very well done by the way, reminds me of some of the He 70s which served with the Condor Legion in Spain. :thumbsup: :wub:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Only just caught up with this one Fred, I LOVE it! Super job there.  :wub: :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit